1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa Bay Times layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Oct 24, 2019.

1. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Most are eliminating paywalls for coronavirus coverage.

As far as laying off sports writers, more will lose their jobs. We're not having sports anytime soon. Some will transition elsewhere, but some will just get cut.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know some businesses are laying people off so the employees can collect unemployment during the hiatus. Wouldn't be surprised if those laid off end up collecting more in unemployment than those remaining at work. But then again - I imagine health care would be good to have.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Today they laid off Craig Pittman, an environmental expert with an encyclopedic knowledge of Florida and its quirks (he was always a great source for "Florida Man" stories). Just terrible.

maumann likes this.
  4. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

6. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Paul Tash's legacy is going to be that he killed 2 great newspapers. Not the way the story should end.

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Jesus. A 10 percent paycut AND layoffs? Rough. Does anyone know who the 11 were?

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Times will now only print on Wednesdays and Sundays.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I think we’re going to see a lot of newspaper corporations rolling out the 7/2 stuff they’ve been trying to sort out.

10. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Wednesday and Sunday, not Saturday. Tash says it's temporary.
    We'll see about temporary, but I can't imagine not having a Monday print edition once the NFL resumes.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Fixed, thanks.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I don't need to tell you once they get used to Wednesday/Sunday the only days for print, why go back? Some states now are talking stay at home orders until June 10. No need to go back to more than two days a week ever. Let's face it, until there is medicine or a pill that cures this there will be no stay at home orders lifted. That means no sports probably until warm weather 2021, let's say Memorial Day 2021 it resumes again. By then newspapers will be a thing of the past. There will be no print product in May 2021. Newspaper websites will employ very few people.

Readallover and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted