1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa Bay Rays "Throwback" Jerseys

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chris17, Jun 20, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Besides not being the "Devil Rays", the color scheme is wrong.

They should have designed the uniform based on their original colors, not the post re-boot colors.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Game,set,match.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

But if it's before the team existed, we can presume these WERE the original colors. Then fish lovers and Satan conspired to change their scheme and add Devil to the nickname before God and the sun made them see the light.

It's really not that hard when you think about it.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I am thinking Geraldo Rivera was part of the ownership group in the mid-1980s so he added 'Devil" to boost his numerous satan worshiping specials. That was a very bad period for the team, btw, Emanuel Lewis hired to manage and Punky Brewster was g.m. after ownership saw how well Gary Coleman did leading the Padres.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

They're called "fauxbacks" for a reason.

And I don't mind the color scheme. I'm glad to see a team having some fun with its uniforms.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I worded that wrong.

They're the same style a lot of teams wore back then with the colored pants and the paneled hat.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah, I was fine with those aspects of the uniform.

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

It was either this or Esteban Yan bobbleheads.

I think they chose wisely. I love how Joe Maddon appears to love being a senior citizen model.

Draft saved Draft deleted