1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa Bay Rays "Throwback" Jerseys

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chris17, Jun 20, 2012.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If they want to "throw back" to 1979, then they should be the Tampa Tarpons or St. Pete Cardinals of the Florida State League, no?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If it's throwback tampa sports, it's gotta be creamsicle.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That uniform makes me want to stop and gas up the car.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I think the uniform looks pretty sweet, even if the Rays weren't around in 1979.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I actually like it!

6. Chris17

Chris17 Member

Surprisingly, in 1999, ownership in Tampa Bay apparently foresaw the future move to eliminate "Devil" from their name.....

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

didn't they have shirts that said just Rays when they were still the Devil Rays?

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I remember when Benson and Arnold managed that team to a World Series title, with Gary Collins hitting the home run that won it all.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I like the idea and some of the execution, but not the blatant ripoff of the old Padres jerseys (as AQB pointed out).

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

It's not a blatant ripoff when nearly every team had jerseys like that back then ...

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Every team had the team name in all lowercase with the city name directly above it? Only the Padres did that as I recall. And the Braves were the only other team I remember that had that particular sleeve style. I definitely agree with using elements of 70s uniform styles, but at first glance that looks too much like the very unique uniform front the Padres sported back then. And that is my only complaint on it.

12. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Well if you read the article it mentions that in the past they have worn Tampa Tarpons and St. Pete Saints jersey's.

Draft saved Draft deleted