1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa Bay Lightning sold?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

New trend in sports for GMs who can't find employment after being fired: Buying your own team. Doug MacLean is fronting a group called Absolute Hockey Enterprises and has signed a purchase agreement to buy the Tampa Bay Lightning.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=215627&hubname=

Very interesting, doesn't sound like a move is in the works, wonder if this means the pocketbook is going to be opened some. Feaster and Tortorella will reportedly keep their jobs, for now, until MacLean feels it's time to take over.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Good luck to the Lightning if MacLean decides to be the GM. He'll bring all his PEI buddies in to scout, coach whatever.

3. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Don't know what to think of this. Davidson really stabilized the franchise and there's no way they win the Cup without him, but he was always absent and complained of losing money. Hopefully these guys actually show up and find a way to turn a profit so they can keep Vinny, St. Louis and Richards. And it would be dumb to move. There's a great arena and a great fan base in Tampa.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Time to start a rumour about moving the Lightning to Charlottetown?

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

This dramatically increases the chances of Torts getting a cameo in "Saw 4."

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

A lot of Canadians are snowbirds, and I am sure MacLean is one of them. So the chances of the team coming to Canada are nil. Good to see MacLean back in some form in the hockey circles.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

I think I was being facetious. I can't be sure, though.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It'd sure save on the relocation fees for MacLean and his cronies.

Hell, probably half the Island would buy season tickets.

It would still beat Nashville. :)

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Almost anyplace beats Nashville.

10. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Maybe Summerside? Would there even be room enough on the Island for an NHL arena and a parking lot?

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It was obvious enough

Draft saved Draft deleted