1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa AGAIN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 27, 2009.

1. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

I've had limited dealings with Kim and I always appreciated her thoughtfulness. Maybe there is a future for this business, maybe not. All I know is the present is fucking bullshit.

2. Yep, Kim was in features, but she was in sports at the Times, so she had a big sports background and always seemed very nice as well.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And he always had biting, spot-on, no-holds-barred comments on the type of assholes who let his paper get to this point.
    Have fun trying to run a media company with 150 Jessica DaSilvas.

4. bdangelo

bdangelo Member

"I'm not the greatest Catholic in the world, but I'll pray for all those still there."

Don't worry, Mike. Our late, great friend and Tribune colleague Tom Ford was an altar boy as a youth. Anything is possible. Your prayers will help.

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Mick is indeed one of the really good guys in this business. And a good writer with a great sense of humor. This really sucks.

6. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

It goes without saying there are many hopes and wishes in the Hack household as well for those still there who were part of an absolutely amazing Sports department ... once upon a time.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Mick was one of my earliest friends in the business after I moved to Florida (Bradenton) and begin beat writing in 1978. Just a great guy; we've kept vaguely in touch over the years, not enough, but a bit. This really does blow.

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Who is the top dog in sports now?

9. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

"This is unfortunately the same song in the sixth verse," said Janet Coats, who oversees the combined newsroom as executive editor and vice president at FCG.

There are some glimmers of a change, Coats said, as FCG is gaining share of the smaller advertising pool in the Tampa Bay area. "To use the current cliché among economists, there are some shoots of grass starting to come up. How sustainable that is, is yet to be seen," she said.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've got shoots of grass coming up too. Surrounded by horse-choking weeds and clover.

11. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Have you ever interviewed somebody in a position of power and left wondering just how on Earth that twit lucked into their job?

I feel like that's what it must be like to meet Janet.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"I wanted to shout, "You go, girl!" -- Lovely and talented....

Draft saved Draft deleted