1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tallahassee Democrat - Prep sports reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Apr 25, 2015.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Tallahassee Democrat/Tallahassee.com, a Gannett Company, is a dynamic media organization and the leader in delivering engaging news, information and entertainment in Florida. We are seeking an innovative person to fill the position of Prep Sports Reporter. This position researches, reports and writes compelling journalism that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers. Acts as a public ambassador through community outreach and connects with readers through social media. Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues and produces highly sophisticated content. Produces self-directed work in collaborate on with the content coach, content strategists and audience analysts to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform. Contributes to the community’s greater good through revelatory journalism. Coaches and mentors less experienced journalists.

Main Function:

• Works independently to plan and execute comprehensive multimedia coverage of higher education, specifically Florida State University, Florida A&M University, Tallahassee Community College and the State University System/Board of Governors, with a particular target of 25-45 year old audiences.
    • Develop and deliver enterprise content on higher-education policy, especially – but not exclusively - as it pertains to Tallahassee institutions.
    • Produce watchdog coverage of public dollars and administrative policy, including contextual presentation of documents with an emphasis on public records, with a goal of better outcomes for students and their institutions.
    • Collaborate and produce multimedia content featuring FSU, FAMU and TCC; for example, video programming, radio and broadcast partnerships.
    • Administer and supervise student intern programs, serve as liaison with FSView staff.
    • Develop enterprise content to reflect the economic, cultural and political impact of higher-education institutions on the area, including initiating and executing contributions from higher education leaders to community engagement efforts across media.

Typical Job Duties:

• Coordinate print and digital coverage of local high school sports teams
    • Compile and update master schedule and contact list for all sports (girls & boys), schools, coaches and athletic directors
    • Coordinate the selection – with help from coaches and athletic directors – of All-Big Bend teams for all sports, girls and boys
    • Develop weekly video show and social media plan across all platforms
    • Compile player statistics for each sport, girls and boys, and work with news assistant when needed on game reports
    • Create prep page and its components
    • Report on recruiting, specifically Florida State football
    • Help edit/clear pages
    • Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
    • Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.).
    • Works with the content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what's working and what's not, and develops plans to better satisfy audience needs.
    • Collaborates with content team to provide all the appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
    • Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
    • Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
    • Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
    • Performs other duties as necessary.

Requirements:

• Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing).
    • Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers' time and money.
    • Self-motivation and self-direction.
    • Advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space.
    • Photo and video skills.
    • Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
    • Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
    • Knows how to use time effectively in an always-on workday.
    • Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
    • Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
    • Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
    • Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
    • Industry knowledge.
    • Organizational skills.
    • Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
    Career Opportunities: Tallahassee Democrat Prep Sports Reporter (56571)

Judging from the ad, the candidate would be covering news stories on the education beat, be a high school sports coach and sports clerk, designer/editor ("create prep page" and "edit/clear pages") and cover Florida State football recruiting or did the just mess up in writing this ad?

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

And performs other duties as necessary in an always-on workday.

This is my hometown paper and my home of record, but I haven't lived consistently in the area since 1996. It's grown immensely since then, including a new high school.

College town, good mix of people who don't always get along, capital city. I don't think of it as a huge foodie or cultural place, but overall above average and definitely has its spots. Weather's humid as hell sometimes but overall good weather climate. Stormed this past week; a tree crushed my brother's truck.

Two hours or so from the beach, airport's not well connected (if you're going to crash, you still have to go through Atlanta) but right on I-10. Cost of living not bad, though the huge population/reputation of students drives up rental costs.

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And ya get to work for Gannett!

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Honestly have never heard of a reporter job anywhere that isn't like this.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

All those duties ... AND cover JV lacrosse.

Seriously, are they hiring a prep sports guy or Woodward and Bernstein?

6. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

The paper recently (as in, this calendar year) brought in a new publisher and new managing/executive editor, both from Fort Walton Beach.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Did they accidentally merge two job postings into one?
    The "typical job duties" section sounds about right for a prep sports reporter. The "main function" section feels like an ad for a completely different position, like a higher education reporter.
    Unless by referring to an "always-on" work day they mean they're looking for a robot who doesn't need to eat or sleep. You do 12 hours at one job, and 12 hours at the other.

8. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

That's a job ad for the WTF Hall of Fame.

Gotta love Gannett.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Good God. Is it just me or do these idiots believe they should be getting someone that works 18 hours a day, can function in about 18 different capacities at once and has the IQ of a mathematical genius? I mean WTF???

The requirements for a fucking sports writer's job are unfucking believable. There's no way in hell I would apply for this fucking job with all those requirements and the shit-hole pay they're offering.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is seems to me that perhaps the "Main Function" was copied and pasted from a college job in error.

The typical job duties themselves seem like plenty (help edit and clear pages -- yay!).

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So if you're "always on", I assume they're going to pay overtime for that, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted