1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talking to a seventh-grader will now get you a thread that isn't started by Poin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Jan 20, 2009.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3837197

The NCAA now officially classifies seventh-graders as prospects, lowering the classification from ninth-grade, in an effort to stem the growing number of coaches who hold clinics for junior high students to get a jump on recruiting.

This is interesting. Will this have the effect the NCAA intends it to, and keep college coaches away from junior high kids, or will it have the complete opposite effect and have coaches scouting sixth graders?

I'd like to think scouting sixth graders would be too hit-or-miss to be a viable recruiting strategy, but my gut says a bunch of middle schoolers are going to start hearing from college coaches (or their staffs) in the near future.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Honest, Mr. Hansen, I was wasn't trying to woo him, I was trying to recruit him.

I say that kind of stuff to all the seventh graders who can ball.

Draft saved Draft deleted