1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talking on the phone is highly overrated

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I like talking on the phone. No one ever calls me though :'(

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Wayyyyy too much thought (or non-thought) has gone into some of this.

By "not answering" the phone, all I meant was not jumping off the toilet in mid-bowel movement, then stubbing your toe on the coffee table and then tripping over the dog in your mad rush to the bedroom to see who's calling.

Let 'em leave a message and check it in a minute or two. That's all. It's not a question of "being bugged by a ringing phone." Jeebus. It's just a question of whether you are a slave to the thing. And yes, too many people are. Witness the 72,000 cell phones that suddenly pop open when fans exit a football game. What a coincidence, 72,000 people all had a call that just had to be made at exactly the same time.

"Dear, I'm at the emergengy room at Memorial Hospital. Call me when you get this, and please come as soon as you can."

Yes, there is the slimmest of possibilities that could be the message. But unless the guy is expected to perform CPR when he gets there, his waiting a minute or two to listen to the message (and arriving at the hospital at 12:37 instead of 12:35) doesn't mean squat.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

What if you get a message at the movie theater that your friend has been in an accident and before you rush to the hospital you stop to buy Jujyfruits?

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

They still have those?

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, they did in the '90s when Elaine bought them on Seinfeld. (Sorry, forgot to put "/Seinfeld reference" at the end of that one. My bad.)

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"Haven't I told you your whole god damn life? Don't talk on the fucking phone!"

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Now you are what? Shrunk? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted