1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talking on the phone is highly overrated

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Aug 9, 2010.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

This. A thousand times this.

A lot of my friends don't operate on the same schedule I do, so if I need something from them or need to talk to them, I text first.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Absolutely, 100% right. But your inability to comprehend what most people are saying probably makes you think otherwise. Case in point: You came into this thread acting like people said that nobody should answer their phone, when nobody said anything of the sort.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Where did I say that? "Acting like" is a very vague term. I would expect you to have more evidence than that.

Oh. I guess it was my sub-standard education and intelligence leading me to believe that here you were stating that anyone who kept their phone on at all times just in case something bad happened was being, well, silly, and that having a phone on at all times was just, well, silly.

But I'm sure I missed something, since I'm never smart enough to have a discussion with you.

4. RickStain

Point conceded. You are right and I apologize for being condescending.

5. KYSportsWriter

Jesus, folks.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Very sincere, Rick. I'm stupid but even I see what you're doing.

7. RickStain

You were right. I did exactly what I accused you of, and what I was annoyed with other people in the thread for doing. I thought the original way the point was made was a bit too much of an appeal to emotion, but in general, being available for emergencies is a perfectly valid reason to keep a phone on at all times. Instead of acknowledging that other people had valid points, I twisted and argued, which is silly and (as you said) condescending.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

All right. What the fuck is going on here??

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think that when all is said and done, Rick and BYH need a room.

10. KYSportsWriter

That's the million-dollar question, my friend.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you read my post you would see I said "home phone" I still have my cell for friends and family to get in contact if they need me.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I hate texting exchanges that go on and on and on. You get asked a question, you answer. Then another question comes and you have to answer that. Then another.

A month ago a female friend texts me in a similar fashion. I answer all the questions. Then that night I get a text asking "Are you mad at me? You seemed short this morning."

It was all I could do to not text back: "Now I am."

Draft saved Draft deleted