1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talking on the phone is highly overrated

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Aug 9, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Apology accepted.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry, that wasn't aimed at you. I almost went in to correct it after I saw you posted as I posted. Again, not directed at you, sorry for any confusion otherwise.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hey, I at least used "Aristotilean assent" when I supposedly apologized.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's way too intelligent for me.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Personally, I loved having a stack of these at work. You didn't have to hit delete on the ones you had no intention of returing, you just chucked them

[​IMG]

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Me too. It's the reason I got a cell phone at all after years of not feeling like I needed one. But I'm not going to mock people who don't want to answer their phones.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

This one strikes a particular chord with me today, as I wrap up Day 7 of trying to reach the local firefighter union's president to no avail. His vm at work? Full. His cell phone vm? Full. Does he ever answer a phone? Nope. So, today, I have little tolerance for that attitude.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Talking on the phone in general is overrated, yes. But if you're the kind of person who keeps his phone off for more than one second because you don't want to be bothered, you're a donk.

I don't understand why anyone would turn their cell phone off. Ever. Especially if you don't have a land line.

DONKS!!!

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I've talked to Sonner on the phone.

It is DEFINITELY overrated. :D

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I mean, did you want me to whisper sweet nothings into your ear?

Cause I will.

:)

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I hate talking on the phone but that's just because I'm a curmudgeon (curmudgeoness?). At work, if I want to get a client's attention, I phone them. I'll follow up with an email but people seem to find ignoring emails much easier than ignoring voice mail.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I'm probably the last person my age who has neither texting nor Tweets. E-mail works and my phone works just fine. People should know that they can call me and I'll answer if I can.

HH's example should ring with many of us. I had a flat tire on my vehicle one late night about 25 miles from the house after working very late. The vehicle I was driving had a marginal tire jack and life to put it politely.

I did everything I could to drive it to a gas station to at least avoid the side-of-the-road dangers since I was on a four-lane highway. I detested calling the house around midnight-1 a.m. and apologized repeatedly. They surprised me, offering a hand willingly and never thinking twice about offering some better equipment so I could get the tire changed and get home.

Yeah ... a text, if the technology had been around then, would have been really useful.

Draft saved Draft deleted