1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talking on the phone is highly overrated

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Aug 9, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/ivor-tossell/hanging-up-on-telephone-talk/article1666256/

Imagine if some inventor in Silicon Valley came up with a new online service that made a loud noise come from your kitchen wall, or your office desk or possibly inside your pants. When this gadget went off, you’d expected to drop everything and pick it up, to hell with whatever else you were doing.

If you failed to answer a certain number of times, the person on the other end would be entitled to start leaving aggrieved messages about why you’re not picking up. (“Jerome! It’s your mother! Answer your pants!”) It would be, I predict, the kind of service people would complain bitterly about. Kids these days! With their things that ring!

As someone who spends a great deal of my day on the phone, I can only say, "Amen".

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not answering the phone and leaving the cell phone off are highly underrated.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yes, when my kids were in that wreck with their father and I didn't pick up the phone so their mother and I could join them at the emergency room, that was priceless.

4. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

In a time when it is easier than ever to communicate with each other, the young generation is choosing to not interact face to face or via telephone. They prefer texts, Facebook, Twitter and email.

Me, I will just pick up the phone and call somebody.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I almost ALWAYS go text/e-mail/FB message before I call, if it's just to ask a question. If it's to actually talk, I call.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I never listen to my voicemail right away. Never.

It takes too much time to pull it up on my Blackberry. I just call back.

At work today I replied to 15 emails before I checked my two voice messages.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As I have found to my chagrin, text/e-mail can be tone deaf as hell. Voice to voice is a clearer communication; the other is like voluntarily taking away one of your senses. And a thumbs-up to HH's example

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I always received a 3 out of 5 in "Phone" on reviews. I always wondered what I needed to do to get a 5. Talk longer? Talk shorter? It was ridiculous.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I long ago moved away from being a trained mouse and jumping every time the phone rang.

Now on my home phone ringer is off and all messages go into VM. I can access the messages on line and usually respond via E-mail. I much prefer controlling the environment instead of letting the environment control me.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

OK, so if 21 is in a car wreck, you don't want to be disturbed from your slumber?

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Wired had a great story this month about how texting is so much better because people can respond on their time.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Imagining worst-case scenarios is a good way to justify all kinds of behavior that we would normally find silly.

Draft saved Draft deleted