1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

talking football....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Eagles1 in London, Aug 8, 2006.

1. sorry if there is an NFL thread buried somewhere, but I'm dying over here....i know not one NFL fan in London and I've been champing at the bit to talk football.

I read about the hall of fame game...seems the eagles starters looked good but that doesn't hide the fact that they will be desperately fighting for a wild card spot (though I'm not completely sold on Dallas just yet)....

Hopefully i can find a bar that shows some games here. Sky plus shows a couple games a week but it's luck of the draw as to who they show. I'm hoping to find a bar that shows a few early and late games each week otherwise i will go crazy. even though i haven't lived in Philly in over 10 years i can't even remember the last game i missed

I know it's eagles fanboy talk but what do you expect from me.....hopefully this will kick off some general NFL chat...

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Although I'm probably alone in this sentiment, I'm happy with a majority of the moves the Texans made, although they're still woefully inadequate in their secondary and backfield. But they had so many gaping holes to fill it really made little difference whether they took Reggie or Mario. They won't make the playoffs, by a longshot, but I could see them winning five or six games this year.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Not to mention at quarterback.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm surprised there's not a streaming video feed for NFL games over Internet. You'd think that a league that looks to milk every revenue stream it can would find a way to do this.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Another Bengal earns his stripes. ::)

Guard Eric Steinbach pleaded not guilty this morning in Campbell County District Court to operating a boat under the influence. 

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060808/SPT02/608080389/1066

6. the nfl is extremely guarded with their rights.....the North American sports net, which has rights to show every other sport live and taped does not show the NFL (yet)....i can't believe in this day and age that you can't watch the NFL live online. i would pay just as much as i would pay for the NFL ticket back home if they offered it online.

7. n8wilk

n8wilk Guest

I'm also surprised the NFL doesn't do games on a pay-per-view basis. I'd be happy to pay about 10 bucks a week to watch my beloved Bengals. They might be able to make more money than DirecTV doing it that way.

As far as the Texans go, I still think Bush would have been a better pick (especially considering Davis' injury problems), but the addition of Moulds, Putzier and a buttload of lineman via the draft will help a bunch. I think six games is a realistic possibility.

8. flanders

flanders Member

respectfully disagree. i think carr's one of the few jeff tedford drones with actual nfl-caliber talent (though boller showed signs of life end of last season), but he's just been the most downright abused qb in the nfl since he came into the league -- taken the most sacks by a longshot. and this isn't a "bledsoe taking sacks" kind of thing where it's based on him simply being immobile (though he's no steve young), rather, it's that line. i don't think it's even fair to call him a bust after playing behind that junior high-level offensive line. if he gets any time to throw -- big if -- he'll hit andre/moulds a lot this year, and will be a nice surprise under kubiak, if you ask me.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If David can't begin to blossom into more of a leader and more of a clutch guy this season, then I'd agree. But he actually had shown lots of improvement before going backward last year. Give him a chance to actually be a quarterback instead of being on his back or running for his life and let's see what he can do.

Draft saved Draft deleted