1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talk show host says reporters shouldn't report, gets zinged by Simers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Sep 17, 2006.

1. probably about as well as your career...laughing all the way to the bank big man

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Internet arguments 101....when in doubt, say you have a lot of money since most people won't know any better anyway.

I don't know who you are gand, though some on here appear to. But you are saying reporters aren't doing their jobs properly when the caught a big-name athlete breaking the rules because they didn't go get a story you would rather read? (Asking you to report it yourself is apparently out of the question.)

What USC did with its bowl money has very little to do with what Reggie Bush did. Is there some NCAA rule about how universities must use bowl money? I've never heard of one, but if not, then they can do whatever they want with it.

I understand there is a moral issue here with what USC does with its money and with Bush's situation. But there are rules. If somebody high profile breaks them, it is a story. If you don't get that, well, I get the impression you are out of the business anyway... exactly as you should be.

3. It's a story.
    Howeer, the rules are idiotic and the more tightly they try to enforce the cartel, the quicker will come the day when the whole phony edifice just crashes down around them.
    The NCAA should add some bedrooms and thereby be rendered into a more honest whorehouse.

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

gandhithegreat, maybe if you keep posting the same thing over and over on this thread someone will go out and report it! it definitely helps that you make anonymous unfounded statements using title ix as a verb. what the fuck makes you think they're doing anything with the money that's illegal? i'm not saying they are or aren't but i think USC is a private institution -- they can do whatever they want with that money.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I also think -- and I very well could be wrong -- that the $37 million is high. I don't think USC got that all for itself. I think that was the total that had to be split with other Pac-10 schools.

6. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

That's correct, SF. You would thus have to ask Oregon State what it did with its share of USC's bowl winnings.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

For the record gand, the only school that gets 100 percent of its bowl payout is Notre Dame (and maybe the other shitty independents) I know Texas took its 15 million payout and gave it to the conference, who then divides it 13 ways among all its member insititutions (Texas gets 2 shares, everybody else 1).

That money generally then goes to support Olympic sports that don't make profits.

Hope this gets you off your soapbox

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Oh, and by the way, I'm sure Bush's family wasn't complaining about getting dragged into anything when they were accepting handouts from agents.

9. deportes

deportes Member

classic t.j. love the ending.

10. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Actually Notre Dame's arrangement changed this year. They now get like $4 million, which is more along the lines of what a BCS team gets before it splits with the conference. When Notre Dame doesn't get into a BCS game, it gets like $1 million, same as it would get if it was in a conference and didn't make it to a game.

I imagine that this morning, they are glad the change was made.

It made for some interesting moments last year, though, when shit-ass Stanford took a lead on them with less than two minutes to play in the last game of the eyar.

11. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

When did the show change its name to add the Mother@#$%in' part?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Gand wouldn't want to bother with something like factual information. Might interrupt his rant.

And I don't believe he was accusing USC of using the money illegally...just not using it the way he thinks they should.

Again, because only his opinion matters ...where's that damn sarcasm font?

Draft saved Draft deleted