1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talk Radio Bashing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

I agree, there's a lot of good radio in Chicago.

But there's also ManCow, which tarnishes the city's radio reputation.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

On the national level, Steve Czaban and Jim Rome stand out. Their shows are just ... different. Not the same crap you hear on every other channel for 21 hours a day. Just a different vibe to the show.
    And, yes, I know Rome falls into the "it's all about me" routine way too often, but at least his show has a little different format.
    There's a few other good ones, but you have to really dig through a mountain of turds to find the diamonds.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Damn . . . lot of truth in that.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Local sports talk in my neck of the woods is just OK, but it still beats the living hell out of Mike & Mike.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't listen or bash, unless someone asks me why I don't listen.

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Not sure about that. He's on an 760-watt daytimer in the suburbs. That says something positive about the other 50 or so stations, does it not?

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

See, I like talk radio as long as they are not being lewd or obscene.

Friday morning's David Stern interview made Mike & Mike quite worth listening to.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's not black and white, of course. Not ALL sports talk radio is bad, non-informational. And some is.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Rome's humor and how he would play off the "clones" was outstanding 15 years ago. The humor went away when he retired his fax machine.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I listen all the time. Fortunately living in SoCal, and with satellite radio, there are a lot of options.
    Still love Rome and can tolerate Cowherd and Patrick most of the time.
    Fox is unlistenable. Compared to Pat O'Brien, no other host on radio has any ego at all. Add Vic Jacobs to the mix, and my ears bleed when they are on.
    I've grown to enjoy Petros and Money, but can see how many would hate them, too.
    Mike North replacing Tony Bruno at night is a definite downgrade.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Loose Cannons was really bad before O'Brien joined up and now they all seem to acknowledge that they all kind of suck.

Petros and Money is good radio. They both realize there is a world outside of sports, it's well produced and you don't get the impression that either of them are trying to prove anything.

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Jim Rome is the one show I cannot stand to listen to. Ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted