1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talk Radio Bashing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Oct 13, 2011.

1. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

Everybody does it. And then they turn it on while stuck in traffic.

This is kinda funny, kinda not.

http://sportsmediaguide.com/announcements/a-new-voice/

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I bash it. I don't listen to it. Simple. I used to listen all the time in college, thinking I was learning something about what was going on in the sports world, (wanting to be a sports journalist and all). Then I wised up and just started reading more good reporters. Don't watch TV news much either.

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I don't bash it. I listen to it.

4. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Ditto, all the way around.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I listen for the entertainment value, but you just don't consider it a form of journalism. It's pure entertainment.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

There are decent shows out there. I don't think it's as much of a wasteland as news talk is and to me, that's a horrible statement about society.

But even now, I'll more likely listen to NPR or music (CD player).

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreed with Brian: I avoid national shows (ESPN Radio, Fox Sports, whatever the hell Sporting News Radio is calling itself this week) like the plague, since most hosts seem to get no closer to a stadium/arena than their TV.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I listen for more than the entertainment value. I only listen to the local sports talk and purely for the local sports talk.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Thank God for IPods and Podcasts.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's rarely "pure entertainment." If it were, they'd have screenwriters draw up the scripts and actors to deliver it.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Like anything else, some sports talk radio is and can be very good. Some break the occasional news, have solid staffs of experienced people with contacts, add the conversation in a useful way.

And many don't. Part of this revolves about corporate ownership have little interest in providing the kind of resources necessary to put on a full-bodied program. And part of it revolves around this notion of "well, we're not really journalists" as if journalism came with a professional license. These shows go to media days. They conduct interviews. They read news items. They just prefer not to be held to a useful standard, so they fall back on the "there is no standard except ratings" entertainment BS.

In my experience, many radio shows are hosted by intelligent, talented people with a comedic sensibility who are stuffed to the brim with narcissism and self-loathing, and use the show as a means of working that out. Unlike an standup audience, which can withhold approval if a comic isn't on his/her game, and talk show host can craft his/her audience with nothing but "sophisticated sycophants" and "idiot detractors." On the rare occasion that a sophisticated detractor sneaks through or a talk show host is suddenly held to a standard, boy, stand back and just wait for the wrath and bloviating to commence.

I know it's harsh and judgmental to say that the radio guy generally has to see himself and be seen as the smartest/funniest guy in the room, but when your audience is that microphone, and the creative process involves some former athlete "yes man" next to you, I can see how and why it happens. The highs and lows of those folks is startling.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think most of the Chicago sports talk is outstanding. Nothing like the Francessa stereotype at all. Very informed. Very smart. Very little cheerleading or gratuitous/uninformed bashing. I consider us lucky.

Draft saved Draft deleted