1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talk me out of doing something stupid

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 17, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And you SHOULD feel good. Don't take it from me, take it from this new best-seller:

http://www.amazon.com/Going-Solo-Extraordinary-Surprising-Appeal/dp/1594203229

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Both cars I've bought I made sure it was a car I would be fine driving in five years wherever I was living at that point.
    When you get the hankering to drive something new - just rent a model you like for a week or two. If you still like it, then maybe put a ring on it.

3. I like to assume that people on this board are bright enough, but you create all the evidence you need in your argument, and still need to ask the question?

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yeah, bad writing. I mean each year at 3,000 mile intervals. Since I procrastinate, its usually around 4-5k.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Gotcha. That's what I figured.

And seeing as how your cars are old as dirt, every 3,000 miles is probably best. :)

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'll use that on wifey when I want another car! (Actually, Toyota minivan runs like a top, same as the day we bought it, and its got 65k and my Infiniti has 80k and still great so not happening for a while.)

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

You're saying there's a book that justifies all my failures in life that doesn't include me giving a weekly offering into a collection plate?

SOLD!

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good article with car buying strategies:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/the-nonconfrontational-path-to-car-buying.html?mktcat=nl-leads_standard&kw=april2012+main+story&mktid=nl61478368&msite=w

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Almost everything from Edmunds should be gospel for potential vehicle buyers.

One caveat: The person with whom you're discussing a vehicle at the dealership gets one shot. If it's wrong, move on. It's one thing to understand that no dealer has your best interests in mind, but another altogether to be that transparent about it. Know your market, and know the difference between a reasonable deal for all parties as opposed to the one-sided pile of crap involved with some dealers.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I stumbled upon Edmunds when we were in the market for a car a good 6-7 years ago. I read the "confessions of a car dealer" (or something of that nature), and loved when I was in the dealership and they followed what was described in that article on there to the freaking letter. I had to keep myself from laughing when the salesman came back with the piece of paper with the + on it, and the sales price in big, bold print, just like in the article.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That article is linked in the article linked above. It's a long, but fascinating read.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Dogs love Jeeps!

Draft saved Draft deleted