1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talk me out of doing something stupid

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 17, 2012.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

My neighbor has a Jeep with a hard top. He takes it on and off by himself with little to no trouble at all. However, he did mention the other day that he wished he had a soft top.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. JackReacher

That's awesome....if you enjoy driving around cars that are nearly a decade old. But you're right. Whatever works. The right thing differs from person to person.

3. JackReacher

Depends. My neighbor, for example, takes his off in the spring and pretty much leaves it off for months at a time. He has a tarp he puts over his dashboard when it's calling for rain. He keeps next to nothing in his Jeep.

That said, I'm sure I'd go with the soft top too. 100 percent. The only thing I don't like is the noise when you're driving it, especially if you take an interstate to work or something.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The whether to buy new wheels or not....depends on priorities and all, I guess, tho throwing the enjoyment factor in can make it hard to fully consider the financial factor. It's not in the league of, "I'm going to buy that craft beer instead of Natty Light" when it comes to stakes.

But in the spirit of the thread title, can I talk you out of renting cars for trips of about 200 miles or more? Money down the loo. Cars are being better engineered all the time. They're not porcelain figurines.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I find that difficult to believe. They aren't that heavy - 150-ish pounds - but they're so bulky there's no way for one person to hold it.

Anyway, hardtops are better in the winter, obviously. And for highway driving. From about November to March, I wish I had one.

The fold-down tops can be a pain to put back up if you leave them down for an extended period. If you're going to go topless for an extended period, just take it off completely.

Also, go for a Wrangler with the full doors, not the half-doors with the fabric upper.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you want to save some time try the Edmunds on line car search. You can hit a number of dealers and they will get back to you with pricing. Use it as a starting point.

I've found that dealers are more aggressive this way because they know that you are shopping the deal.

It also takes the emotion out of it. You feel no loyalty to the rep and it's easier to walk away.

Finally, don't sign anything until you get approval at SJ.

7. JackReacher

I watched him take it off the other day as I was watering my front yard. Asked him if he needed help. He said no. The big part, he lifted up and held over his head with both hands. Carried it around to the back of his house. Sure looked heavy, and I would have been more than happy to help, but he knocked it out.

I'd love to have a Jeep.

8. Boom_70

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

MisterCreosote, I never do anything rash involving more than maybe $200. I also hate cars and drive only out of necessity. But do what you want. I'd only recommend you consider that you'll have this Jeep to drive in the winter, too. Could you save yourself a lot of money by renting a Jeep for a weekend and going somewhere fun to get this all out of your system?

A comma wouldn't be a bad addition, either.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Chris Snow wouldn't have made such errors

11. Boom_70

To meet the mandatory SJ green rule you must also visit a Prius or Volt dealership and take a test drive.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

It is stupid. But you know the risks. You're young and single right now, but how good would the extra $25k look towards a down payment a couple of years down the road?

Don't just look at the monthly, look at the overall $$$ you're spending. Is it worth it to you? Don't think today, think at the end of the commitment.

You say you trade in and get the new car? Win-win? NO. That means you lost your down payment and the payments you've already made on the first car.

Don't do it.

We've been fortunate to not have a car payment for the last 7 years and its awesome. Financial freedom. Avoid the monthly bills as much as possible and you'll be surprised at how much you can afford on other things.

Enjoy your truck, roll the windows down, blast the stereo and be thankful you just saved ???$$$.

Draft saved Draft deleted