1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talk me out of doing something stupid

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In the end it would be better not to have a car payment, but then you need to start factoring in repairs on older car which could end up costing you as much as monthly car payment if you are unlucky.

$1500 is not bad. Jeep currently offers $1000 rebate so that combined with tough negotiation should get you to at least break even.

I would not tell the dealer that you want to trade in your car until you get the best price on Jeep.

I also would get the base model( which you should get for around $21,000) and add what you want in after market. You pay a lot extra for the dealer add on's such as wheels and tires. Some dealers will let you work with after market SUV shop prior to delivery which will not negate your new car warranty.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Boom is correct about the after-market for whatever you want done to the Wrangler.

If you get one, bookmark http://www.quadratec.com/.

First thing you do, is buy a under-the-seat lockbox if you're going to be topless most of the summer. And if that's your goal, don't get a hardtop, because taking it off either involves two men or a pulley contraption mounted to the ceiling of your garage.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This is a good tip for anyone buying a car. Don't negotiate with a trade-in and don't negotiate monthly payments.

Negotiate the final price of the vehicle first. Then negotiate the trade-in value. Then negotiate the interest rate.

The dealer will find ways for you to be able to afford that extra $2,000. Better for you to see to it that it's not included in the price.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It sounds like your family has the same tastes in cars that I do, and I'm curious, what did you think of the Mini?

I love the look/style/size of it, and when I think of a car I'd like to buy (if I could afford it) whenever my 11-year-old Toyota Corolla with 205,000-plus miles on it goes (which I'm told/hoping may not be for at least a couple of years yet), the Mini always comes to mind.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Check with your bank before heading to the lot. You might get a lower percentage rate there.

Also, don't buy the extended warranty the F&I guy will push. That's one of the dealership's easiest moneymakers and they usually put a serious closer on that gig.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

***smh***

Ah well, to each their own. It sounds like you will at least get enjoyment out of it.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Keep Mr. C's sex life out of this please.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That's the wrong approach. You need to offer the dealership the deal that you want to make.

Do the research and find out what jeep that you want and also find out the dealer cost.

You need to be patient. To get the best deal it will take at least 2 weeks of discussion.

In first meeting get dealers "first offer" on price just so you have something to evaluate.

In next few meetings deal with your rep via phone or e mail. It will take the emotion out of it.

When you feel that you have best price on jeep then tell them that you decided to trade your car.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nope. I'm good. And like I said, I don't mind a car payment. Would no car payment be nice? Sure. Been there, done that. But that also means I wouldn't be able to buy a new car as often as I'd like. I'm sure I'll buy another one in a couple years.

If I had to go back and forth with a car salesman for two weeks, my head would explode. I'm always in an out in a couple hours. Here's what I want. Here's what I want to pay. Either you make it happen or I simply hold off until I can find that deal. Both times I've done that, I've left with a new car that fits my budget. It's not rocket science.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The car purchases I've made both took about month from the time I decided I needed to buy a new car to signing the purchase agreement.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Whatta shame Chef didn't start a thread with this title.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Whatever works, and you're certainly in the American consumer majority with the acceptance of car payments as a fact of life, but I figure that in the eight years since payments ended on our two cars, we have saved $75,000.

Draft saved Draft deleted