1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talk me off the ledge, or Heartland Job op on the table

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blacktitleist, Jun 10, 2010.

1. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Help me, oh wise SportsJournalists.commers.

I know Heartland has been just shelled on this site, and for good reason through the research I've done.

My situation is this. Full-time offer on table. Not much $$$, but it is four times what I made last month stringing my fair share of stuff as well as 3-4 shifts on the desk at my shop, which I've been at for almost six years. Last month was the most $$$ I'd made all year.

There really isn't anywhere for me to go there as far as more hours. All the pt stuff I've applied for lately hasn't even gotten a sniff of a response, except for a gig with yahoo I applied for and didn't get.

I'm well established in the beat I'd be covering, even as a stringer (if that makes sense). Well over 300 clips during my tenure where I am. The job with Heartland is in a location that is also in our coverage area, and I know the beat well.

I hate the idea of not having any cash to keep up my household bills for the summer and beyond, provided I did go back to my shop in mid-August when preps gear back up. (no guarantees, however, because of impending univeral desk and folks losing their jobs.)

Got two kids, no health insurance (haven't had insurance for the last five years), and we've basically been living off my wife's salary, with what I make taking care of most of the household bills.

Plus, I stay home with the kids during the day.

I know of Heartland's reputation, but I've got nothing else that even looks promising.

What say you? Anyone out there with a personal horror story about working for these guys?

What would you do in my situation?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's a job. No one can tell you to take it or not.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why don't you take a job with a newspaper company with a good reputation -- one with generous raises, no layoffs or furloughs, with robust ad sales and Christmas bonuses.

Then you won't have to worry.

Seriously, what would be the downside of taking the job?

4. printdust

printdust New Member

Take it and be thankful it's not CNHI. You work for your family, not Heartland.

5. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

You take it and use that time to network your way out of journalism.

It's what we do at our shop.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Please reread this paragraph -- that you wrote -- then tell me why you're even questoning this offer.

7. Gorilla_Monsoon

Gorilla_Monsoon New Member

I'm currently employed at a Heartland newspaper (though not in sports). I'm in a salaried position, so I'm working 60-70 hours a week. If your offer is by-the-hour then I'd jump at the opportunity. You're going to be asked to do a lot and it'll seem like you don't have enough time to do everything you're being asked to do. Still, I think it's worth it for you to take the offer. Go there, get some more clips and keep searching for something else. Just my two cents.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

As printdust mentioned, be thank the Lord it's not a CNHI paper and go for it! Make the best of what you have available.

Best of luck to you.

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

If only Charles Foster Kane were hiring.

10. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

if you take the job, will you have to move and then your wife will be looking for a new job?
    To me, that would be a wash unless you are confident she can find something pretty quick.
    that said, you really need health insurance.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Did you take the job?

Draft saved Draft deleted