1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talk about your unfortunate typos ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 25, 2008.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

"Shit put" once slipped through early in my career. Luckily, people thought it was funny and I didn't get in much trouble more than "sometimes, the spell checker won't catch the obscenities."

The girl who was competing in the event I was writing about heard about it and and joked to her friends that it was a cow-chip tossing contest, not a track meet.

2. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

We had a guy one time who had so-and-so winning the long hump at a track meet.

3. Faithless

Faithless Member

Is all of this a matter of pubic record?

4. partain

partain Member

Like me, my wife is out of newspapers now, but she often left out the word "not" in sentences, so "Mayor Smith says he's not guilty of charges" would come out as "Mayor Smith says he's guilty of charges."

I don't think any of them ever appeared wrong in print, but it was something she always had to go back and look for when completing a story.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Almost forgot one. Our former prep guy once covered a high school game that a lightning storm caused to have a "late lickoff."

6. partain

partain Member

I also started as an agate clerk at the Arkansas Deomcrat-Gazette not long after the words "I love big tits" appeared on the agate page about 15 years ago. It wasn't a typo, of course. I don't know about now, but apparently back then the agate page was heavily read, and the miscue generated quite a few phone calls.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

It's just honest reporting.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Our ad department messed up years ago and ran a big ad for "Shit Sale" at a local store that was have a shirt sale.

9. EStoess

EStoess Member

Had the country club typo under my watch, in reference to the publisher's club in a rewrite...

Not good. I wasn't working that night, as I recall, but I kept my job, as did the stringer who made the mistake and the editors working that night.

10. Dicky_Dunn

Dicky_Dunn New Member

The worst one of all time ran in the Annapolis Capital a few years ago when an aptly named writer (Joe Gross) hit the "n" key instead of the "b" when writing that a Navy basketball player planned to move on to bigger and better things. What made this gaffe even more spectacular is that it ran on the MKL holiday.

It's an afternoon paper and people from the newsroom were rounded up to go out and physically pull papers out of as many street boxes as possible while a corrected version was being replated. A 1A apology ran the next day.

This is a true story. If you have any doubts, call up to The Capital and talk to Gerry or Bill, or talk to Scott in the Navy SID office.

11. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

In college, we had one about a girl "who went fisting" on a sunny day.

She was fishing.

I think it's still hanging in the newsroom somewhere ...

EDIT: It was in a cutline ... so it kind of stood out.

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

If you're asking "Did this make it to print?", then in my case, yes. No one caught it until the next day.

Draft saved Draft deleted