1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talk about your Faustian bargains (pun totally intended)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 19, 2012.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I still don't think it will be long before we find out Albert Pujols is 35, not 32.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

If nothing else, we'll find out in the next three years.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No way in hell players with precisely equivalent past performance records have the same value at age 27 vs. 24.

A 24-year-old has 3-5 years of peak performance in front of him. A 27-year-old is going to enter decline phase in the next 2-3 seasons.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I guess I'd change my name too to make it less obvious I was the love child of Roberto Hernandez and Gil Heredia

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

He's a pitcher. They don't really have a "decline" phase a lot of the times, more like a "I hurt my arm and I'm going to immediately start sucking" phase. For every guy like Livian Hernandez, who puts up cartoonish inning and pitch totals each year, there is a Johan Santana, who just suddenly breaks down after years of good health, or Mark Prior, who broke down despite fairly careful management and very good mechanics.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Most guys at 24 aren't even free agents. Way more guys sign their biggest contract at 27-29.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

So when does the REAL Fausto Carmona show up for spring training? Can he sue for character assassination?

Actually, the Indians should sue Heredia for impersonating a major league pitcher for the amount of money they have paid on him.

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

So, how the hell is Tom Withers at the AP supposed to refer to this guy now? I hope AP style is to simply put quotation marks around his name for the rest of his career.

Or The Pitcher Formerly Known As Fausto.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Mephistopheles

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Roberto Hernandez/Fausto Carmona and Juan Oviedo/Leo Nunez facing six-week suspensions from MLB:

http://es.pn/H4Akrk

Draft saved Draft deleted