1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talk about your Faustian bargains (pun totally intended)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The Indians' Fausto Carmona was arrested in the Dominican Republic for using a false identity. Apparently, his name is actually Roberto Hernandez Heredia.

Oh ... and he's 31, not 28.

http://sbn.to/zCq0Lc

To me, this kind of fraud is as bad — if not worse — than using PEDs. I understand why the players do it, but the teams end up getting cheated out of a lot of money on guys that "age" faster than they should.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So, you think cheating billionaires out of a little money is as bad or worse than gaining a competitive advantage through illegal (by both federal law and MLB rules) means?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Fausto Carmona anagram = A Scam Afoot, Run.

4. Steak Snabler

It's all fraud.

And a "little money" is relative. Carmona signed a $43 million contract before the 2008 season. Would he have gotten that if he'd been known to be 27 (in the middle of his prime) rather than 24 (still on the upswing career-wise)?

5. Golf clap

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Wouldn't identity fraud be grounds to utterly void (as in, 'not another cent') a contract?

If I were the team's lawyers, I'd go on the grounds that we were fraudulently induced to sign a contract with a fictional person 28 years old rather than the real person who is 31. Bang-zoom no more money for you.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think teams have voided contracts for this, yes. Because Carmona is a pitcher, this probably hurts his future value, but he probably would have gotten similar contracts if he was 24 or 27 at his last contract signing.

8. Steak Snabler

Carmona's 2008 contract was for four years, with three club options tacked onto the end.

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/04/cleveland_indians_fausto_carmo.html

Something tells me they'll decline those ...

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So they lost no money at all. Even knowing his age, they would have loved to have him for a four-year contract.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

How is it that guys are always caught after playing 5 or more years in the majors.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's already happening, but this is going to induce teams to go TOTALLY Orly Taitz on anybody they even think about offering a big free-agent contract.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see MLB, as in the assembled owners, contract with some kind of deep-black-ops intelligence firms to dig deep into the birth records of players. It's really an issue for ALL the owners since it fundamentally distorts the market value of players by inaccurately depicting them as younger (i.e. more valuable) than they really are.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A lot of times with Latin players, there are no records to dig deep into. The only birth record in a lot of places is a name and date written in the family Bible, if even that.

Because of that, I'm a little surprised that using a false ID isn't more commonplace. I bet we'll start seeing a rash of these now.

Draft saved Draft deleted