1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talk about an overreaction

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, May 4, 2008.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Yes, PETA knows even more about the horse than the person who rode it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/more/05/04/bc.rac.peta.eightbelles.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Undoubtedly? Are you serious?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

PETA for some reason attracts even more self-righteous douchebags than Politicized Christianity. It used to be that less than 1 percent of PETA's annual budget went to shelter programs. Wonder if that's still true?

3. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Why hasn't anyone done a money trail story on PETA? Hold its feet to the fire, question every decision it makes? They are a non-profit, collect donations, are not privately owned. Right? Should its finances being public record, somewhere?

4. they don't think twice about crucifying humans, do they?

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Those records are public record, but such a story hasn't been done in a long time. The last one I saw is how I know PETA at one point didn't pay any more than lip service to shelter programs.

6. i just reread this. seriously, WTF? she was "doubtlessly injured before the finish"?? how the fuck do they know that? if it turns out that's not true, that's borderline slander. they pretty much accused him of knowingly and willingly killing a horse. as a fairly left-leaning member of society who's supported a cause or two in my day, i just feel like general ass-hattery like this sets worthwhile causes way back. i hope he sues, i hope he wins.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Analysis of the organizations records has been done in the past and the general public shrugged.

The bad thing about the group's reaction to Eight Belles is news organizations will publish their comments, which furthers their skewed agendas and gets their message out to the public.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I don't think PETA overreacted.

I think they came in completely out of left field, with a crazy supposition that shows just how insane advocacy groups can be when their passion runs amok.

9. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

I read some stories about this today. PETA would love to kill the jockey, and they don't even know the guy.

The jockey was heartbroken, same for trainer, same for owner.

PETA jumped the shark a long time ago. It will spin anything to further its cause, because PETA cares more about PETA than about anything else.

Grass-roots organizations are great when they start. They're all about the cause. Then they go corporate or whatever, and all they care about is thrusting their name onto the news again.

Eight Belles died, and it was tough to watch.
    Have a little respect for the folks who nurtured a filly they loved, and quit trying to make a lawsuit or prosecution out of it.

Those who loved that horse the most feel worse than anyone else.

I love animals. But I don't like PETA. Radicals are good, but not when they lose their focus and become the political corporation they hated in the first place.

Suck it, PETA.

Eight Belles was a great filly, ran a nice race Saturday. My thoughts go out to those people who actually knew her, and loved her.

The filly probably would have wanted that also.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Your overall sentiment is pretty spot on here. PETA, like the ACLU, has overreached and been way overzealous at times, giving worthwhile causes a bad name.

11. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Hilarious and accurate.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like the ban on whipping. I doubt that really hurts the horses. What do they recommend to get the horse to put in in high gear down the stretch -- tickling?

Draft saved Draft deleted