1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Talent Dilution" Ignorance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Mar 3, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Since when does Dusty Baker know about pitchers?

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Dusty was a genius until ..... he gave Ortiz the ball in the middle of the 7th in a 5-0 game with 2 on and Felix Rodriguez (Mr. never throw a fastball in) coming in.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Thank you Ace and Armchair for back to back laugh out loud moments.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

The question is, have the population growth and internationalization of the game been enough to keep the talent pool from diluting in an expansion era?

It doesn't seem to me like that issue is at all settled in baseball, and no one who watches hockey could credibly argue that the internationalization of the NHL in the late '80s and early '90s bolstered the talent pool enough to justify expanding the league by nearly 50 percent.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I guess the talent dilution argument also applies to managers.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Big fucking mistake.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's an interesting question.

International players have improved the talent in the game, but my impression is that a lot more of the international players are position players, not pitchers.

And in the U.S., I think kids fall away from baseball for other sports more than they used to.

But Dusty Baker is still an idiot. Even if he's right, it's a case of a stopped clock being right.

This is like when Joe Morgan compares any team to the '76 Reds. He'll go position by position and determine that the Reds were better at every single one.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's true, that's how polo was invented.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I have to consider the audience when I post. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted