1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Talent Dilution" Ignorance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Mar 3, 2010.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Heard Dusty Baker on the radio yesterday talking about how pitchers these days are coddled in part because in the good old days there were less teams, so that must mean more good pitchers then.

Hello, does Dusty not understand that the game is now more international than ever and that the population has grown the past 40 years? This is the same thing I hear when people talk about expansion in the NFL, NBA, etc.

Yes there are more spots to fill, but damn hasn't the talent pool grown as well? I'm just asking for your views given that you writers follow the sports world more closely than I.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Consider the source. Dusty also thinks black guys play better than white guys in hot weather.

I Fucking Love Dusty Baker.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just curious - if you don't follow "the sports world more closely" why would this matter to you?

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Also because of expansion, there are more hitters, which means more base-clogging.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I follow sports, its just you're writers and I'm not and I value your views.

6. ralph russo

ralph russo Member

You are 100 percent right about the talent pool and this is yet another example of why the ability to play the game does not necessarily give you the ability to analyze it.

7. Take out the "in hot weather" part of that statement and he is dead-on accurate.

8. Crash

Crash Active Member

The flip-side to the talent pool argument is the increase in specialization at a young age, which lowers the talent pool a little. How many kids who could be damn good ballplayers give it up to chase basketball, football, golf, hockey, soccer or some other sport?

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Is that you, Jimmy The Greek?

I mean, really?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Blacks were bred to play ball for the amusement of the plantation owners.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Mark Prior just ripped the head off his Dusty Baker voodoo bobblehead with his teeth.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And tore a tendon in his elbow in the process.

Draft saved Draft deleted