1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

taking chance on start-up?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Jul 9, 2008.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

Considering the overall business climate of the newspaper industry, would you take your chances with a small start-up newspaper where there was an opportunity for employee-ownership (i.e., stock, decision-making) at the cost of some financial suffering in the beginning?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What's the word I'm looking for here?

That would be a big NO.

3. Mizzougrad96

Where is the picture of the Black Bear?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think it might be worth a risk if you are currently unemployed.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Mizzou, I look at it completely from the other direction.

For one thing, if you're unemployed or worried about it, what have you got to lose.

Second, if it's small/small-town deal, there's continuing thinking that those places are exactly those that will succeed, with "hyperlocal" a built-in part of the concept.

I don't think you can say "no" without knowing the whole deal at all. Might be a great opportunity.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That sounds like a great idea. I invite you to invest whatever profit you make to get my buggy-whip venture up and running.

8. Mizzougrad96

I think you'd do better selling VCRs door-to-door, but what do I know?

9. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I got offered a chance at a star up two years ago. It had two very smart, intelligent owners who had backgrounds in sales. They had an experienced and talented, yet small, sales staff and a great plan of action. They also invested in the right equipment, had an in at a family owned paper that would give them a discount to print and it had appeal across an entire region.

It lasted about six months.

If you don't have a job, or are married to someone who has a well paying one, I would go for it if it compels you. Otherwise, be wary. Two or three months before publication, I interviewed and asked them how many potential advertisers they had and the number didn't grow from the first interview to the second. It paid about 10 grand more than I made at the time, but I choose to stick with security and it ended up being the smart move.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Hey, if somebody was asking about starting a new paper in a big metropolitan area -- the new Los Angeles Herald-Examiner, anyone? -- I think that would be insane.

But if there's a bedroom suburb that's now big enough to have its own government and whatever but still lacks a paper, and it would be started modestly and with a heavy -- or exclusive -- emphasis on local, it might be worth looking into, that's all I'm saying.

11. Mizzougrad96

I hope he proves me wrong.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

suburban market w/ about 130,000 population in shadows of big d. and there's a weekly in place that is part of a non-local chain that emphasizes ads over good editorial.

Draft saved Draft deleted