1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taking a vacation from the board: Why?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, May 23, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Should I switch Ferrell out with the "That's Racist" kid?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Careful, Cran, you're one away from 10,000

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

He could always start deleting old posts every time he makes a new one. :D

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy shit, I'm not sure what amazes me more: That the Monday debacle was referenced at length here, or that it's been EIGHT FUCKING YEARS since it happened. Geez. I was telling IJAG the other day that we've been online besties for eight years. Time flies. I could still pass for the Y in BYH back then. I'd like to go back to those days, back when I thought my career was flat-lining, instead of it actually flat-lining.

The first few months of this incarnation were wild, watching alliances form and battles develop. I remember how stoked I was when 21 complemented me for something I wrote, and how we killed it on the Terry Haute book that, alas, died a quick death. Better to burn out than to fade away, I guess.

I've left here a few times, as Mizzou alluded to, which is really frightening since I STILL have north of 51,000 posts. The first time I left I just decided to see how long I could go w/o my crack (two months or so, if I recall correctly). The second time was shortly after that when I got into a snit with Moddy over my feud with a long-ago board member (amazing, I know, the concept of me feuding with anyone). Fuck Moddy, I'll show him, I thought. Of course, in retrospect, nobody cared, nor should anybody have cared. I was gone about the same length of time.

I think I had a smaller accidental sabbatical in October/November 2007 b/c I was swamped at work (the last strands of the good ol' days). Then I definitely went away for a while in early 2008 b/c me and Mizzou fought over something and I said things I really shouldn't have said. I think the fight was over the guy I feuded with the first time. Very incestuous.

My longest break, by far, was last year, when I got a new job out of sports journalism and submerged myself in trying not to fuck that up. It was also too painful to come back here when I wasn't doing anything resembling sports journalism. I was gone a long time--four months or so, but came back for the 24 finale b/c I couldn't think of any better place to snark about it. Have taken a few unplanned breaks since then--get busy at the non-sports job and a few days come and go before I realize it. Good for the soul to get away and detox sometimes.

It's interesting that most of the people who fight the fiercest end up on good terms. (and if outofplace and I can play nice in the sandbox, there is hope for anyone). Stockholm Syndrome, or just a reflection that in the end we're all fundamentally decent people bonded by this shitty business?

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I wish to give an anti-shoutout to this thread.

6. Mizzougrad96

Any thread that references the Monday incident is OK with me.

I think a lot of us have mellowed considerably over the last eight years, although sometimes it might not seem like it. :D

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Again, I ask this question... where the fuck is Knickfan23?

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I actually missed the whole Monday incident and the weekend with 21 at the helm/bandwagon boy/charmion episode--two episodes in particular I'd like to have been here to see.

That was also around the period where there was an extenisve night crew, and it was always interesting logging on in the morning to see the damage of the night before--kind of like cleaning up after a truly memorable bash the night prior.

Oh, and I'm never leaving. No matter how many times I get asked....

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Considering you're member No. 1, you have a shockingly low post total.

10. Mizzougrad96

There are a lot of people who are gone, who I suspect have returned under different usernames.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

Well there was some issues with the moderators when the politics board was dumped. Admit it. But now, at least, from time to time, we're getting political threads -- the kind of threads that fueled traffic even if they were pissing contests.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And civility, which can be absent here, might have been the spark for the move.

Draft saved Draft deleted