1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taking a vacation from the board: Why?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, May 23, 2011.

1. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Some stuff. But it's spotty, at best.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The whole Monday incident was eight years ago...

I know some on this board have credited/blamed me for making the post that drove her away. God, I'd love to see that thread again.

3. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

I guess you don't remember it then.

You may have had a hand in Monday leaving, but I think 21 was just brutal (and justified) in pounding her into submission. When she posted hockeybeat's PM's and everybody jumped her shit about doing that, it seemed to be the final straw. Maybe the highlight of this board.

4. Mizzougrad96

I do remember 21 tearing Monday a new one. I remember after posting something on that thread, going out to see a movie, T3, I believe, and then coming back and having 17 PMs waiting for me, most from an irate little ISU grad.

5. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

Didn't it all start when she started or participated in a "Things I hate" thread, and at the top of her list was when athletes she was covering kept asking for her "digits"? Then she kept saying "would of" instead of "would have", and 21 just went nuclear on her.

And I think her name and photo popped up somewhere here, too. I wonder whatever happened to her?

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Ahhhhhh, the good old days.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I can tell you that it was because I wanted to spend more time with my son, or I can say that my work was so demanding. The bottom line, though, was this place became less enjoyable. Add in the rise of Facebook and Twitter, and I found new outlets to vent, to express what little creativity I have, and to connect with some of my friends from the board. That was a big thing for me.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I like the coma from eating too many ginormous burgers better as an explanation.

And boy, those were the days, when 2,000 posts could be a cause for angst.

9. Mizzougrad96

That was it...

10. Mizzougrad96

She married Marcus Fizer.

11. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

From what I remember of her photo, the only athletes that would have asked for her digits (or married her) would have come from the women's blind golf team.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Well, technically, I didn't go nuclear on anyone. It was more like Silence of the Lambs, when Hannibal Lechter quietly gets the crazy inmate in the adjacent cell to swallow his own tongue.

I could be wrong, but I think I would remember if Mizzou ever gave a grand farewell speech; he has been one of the few here who has always said no one cares. And had he said goodbye back in the day, I KNOW I would have remembered, because I would have been gasping with relief. No one fought uglier than Mizzou and I back then. Then Boom got involved to defend my dubious honor, and it got even uglier.

But Mizzou was inadvertently involved in one of the few moments I truly regret here: I wrote a blistering PM about him, just horrible stuff, and accidentally sent it to him instead of whomever I was sending it to. I can still feel the little ice pellets tinkling down my spine when I realized what I had done. To his massive credit, he was such a complete mensch about it, truly classy, we cleared a lot of bad air, and that was the end of the feud. Thank God.

But I am so sick of that cowbell avatar. 8)

Draft saved Draft deleted