1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taking a stand... well, sort of

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Dec 20, 2009.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Eight track or cassette?

As for the form, well, I understand your sentiment, but they probably saved money by using an existing form instead of coming up with one that was more accurate/sensitive. Just let this one go. There are better ways to channel the energy from your pent-up frustrations.

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

You folks are on the money. All I'm going to do is put an X on the "request for days off" line and denote "furlough days" below it.

I'm not really looking for a fight. But I refuse to sign something that I know not to be accurate. I'm not "requesting" anything.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, do that. And if anyone asks, just tell them that you don't want to get mixed up with the furlough days and your paid vacation days. It's a little brownnosing, but it covers your ass.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How passive agressive to cross out the top of form. That will show the corporate bigwigs.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

The best way to take a stand with furloughs is to do exactly what the company requests take the day off...it's unpaid and it's a vacation day off...no work. You don't work ahead to make up for the furlough...you just do as they ask and not show up for that day's work.

6. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Is this is in reference to the CNHI forms (I'm guessing it is)? I've also been looking for a way around this. It feels like they're putting words in our mouths, and the exact legal mumbo jumbo words they need to cover the company's ass.

One guy in my shop got a little irate about the days being listed as "absent" on the forms they make us sign before we get the check/pay stubs. He flat out just crossed it out and a few more of us (including myself) began doing the same. No one's mentioned a word about it to us.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Last year, I piecemealed the furlough days across the quarter. This year, I just said, "screw it," and took a whole week off. And my first stop that Monday is the unemployment office to collect for the week I'm out.

Draft saved Draft deleted