1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Takedown of OC Register owner Aaron Kushner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Jun 26, 2014.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Bumped back to top rather than a new thread started...

Longtime OCR writer Mark Whicker has caught on with LANG. His first column appears Sunday on the Dodgers' TV situation in Southern California.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20140704/mark-whicker-dodgers-tv-deal-has-turned-into-a-disappearing-act

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Just think, those kids in San Diego whose family got slaughtered in the desert will never know the joy of a full cable TV schedule.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Should be noted: It's a weekly column, not three times a week.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. I did see that when I originally posted this, but I'm happy someone landed on their own two feet out of OCR. :)

5. Just what L.A. readers need -- another tired column concerning SportsNet LA. Maybe columnists should tell readers how to avoid MLB.tv blackouts.

If you read satellite TV message boards, dozens of customers are canceling DirecTV and Dish. Dish has already abandoned the New York City market for local sports. DirecTV also is working on a new deal with ESPN that expires this year. It still hasn't picked up the PAC-12 Network.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

This refers to a horrible column Whicker wrote nearly 5 years ago. Unfortunately for Whicker and the OCR, I wasn't working that night or this wouldn't have happened.
    That said, having Whicker leave is the biggest loss to the OCR of about 100 staffers who have departed this year. Whicker could always be counted on to produce a centerpiece-worthy column on a slow day. He would write a column on the most important events and not duplicate the game story. He filled in on coverage that fell through the beat structure. He could cover a golf tournament and produce a gamer, notes and column every day of the tournament and have it all done within an hour or two of the final shot.
    The OCR should not have let Whicker walk away.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Having finally read the link in the OP leaves me with this question ...

What if people no longer WANT a heavy dose of local, community news? Maybe the reason newspaper ad revenue is spiraling toward nothingness is advertisers know people ages 50 and younger don't care about city council news, local sports, even local crime.

I saw a few issues of the OCR this spring and they absolutely bulged with Orange County news ... and looked great doing it. Apparently two years of that wasn't enough to move the numbers out of the red.

Maybe hyperlocal coverage is not what the average U.S. citizen of 2014 wants anymore. If so, newspapers really are doomed.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

You are correct. Whicker had a really, really bad column with the "left the yard" piece, but there is no question to his value. He was a machine at the OCR. Pumped out more columns a week than anyone else there.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Here's the latest ... LA Register ready to fold.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2014/09/la_weekly_says_rumors_are.php

The people who took buyouts and are still on the payroll did not get their direct deposits, which should have hit the banks Friday morning. An OCR finance dept. employee had to call them all. Reportedly, the check were to be available for pickup at the Santa Ana office by 3 p.m. or could be sent through snail mail. Reportedly, a computer glitch tanked the direct deposit. Probably, there wasn't enough money.
    In other news, Mark Whicker is replacing Jill Painter at LANG (LA Daily News, et al.)

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

No group is more gullible than journalists.

Draft saved Draft deleted