1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take Your Kid To The Ball Game Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Well, my daughter is 15 months old now. Last season, she went to three MLB games - in two different cities. She was such a newborn though she never moved or flinched or watched the game. She was more interested in the lights.

Tomorrow, we're going to our first of the 2009 season. It's afternoon game, so I expect very few in attendance.

I'm worried. She's a wild bundle of energy. There aren't enough stairs and seats in the world for her to climb and stand on. There aren't enough nooks and crannies for her to explore.

Any advice for me? Besides the obvious "You're insane, don't even attempt this" line.

It should be said, I'm totally looking forward to this, too. Just me and her. Mom's at work. I just hope we last more than three innings.
  2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Buy her a foam finger.
  3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Some ice cream should keep her occupied for a bit.
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Don't plan on eating, drinking or watching more than five minutes of the game.

We had a mom, dad and infant girl sit below us at a recent game. Even with both parents there, it was still a bit of a struggle at times.

No chance I'd brave it alone. One of my nephews is about the same age as your daughter....ain't no way I'd take him to a game alone.

Good luck, though. :)
  5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

"If I were you, I would start drinking heavily" [/John Blutarsky]
  6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

15 months? Good luck with much of anything.

Definitely keep her moving, stay in the shade and have fun.

It's a bit different now, with a 6-year-old obsessed with baseball. He demands to stay for all 54 outs.
  7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Is there and over-under worth betting on? I'd say no more than two innings. And I think you're crazy!
  8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We upgraded to a pretty costly seat at a recent game. Couple game in with a child looked to be about 18 months. Sat behind us. Got there in the third, left in the fifth. Kid didn't sit still one time. 180 bucks for seats (they paid for the kid) for three innings and I don't think either parent saw three pitches.
    The Queen is usually pretty patient but I think she was close to losing it there.

I'm taking my kid to a game today. Of course, he's 25. So he can drive. And pay for food and beer.
  9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I was able to keep my oldest reasonably entertained and still for football games when she was two, but I wouldn't try it with my present 20-month-old. A lot of it depends on the child, and a good, long nap before you go wouldn't hurt. Ummm...you may need one too.

If all else fails, three words: Beer sippy cup. :D
  10. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

It never hurts when you can get a seat in the front row of your section, that's what I did a few times when my kids were that age.

That way, if they want to move around, they're not disturbing anyone in front of you.

My kids' first game was in '04 in Montreal when my daughter was 2 and my son was 1. Since there was the usual 10,000 or so at the Big O in its lame duck year, she had room to maneuver and she flipped half-a-section worth of yellow seats over in the left field corner. My son ate a small bit of a pretzel and puked it up all over the seat, leaving a permanent mark on baseball in Quebec.

Somewhere in there, David Wright hit his first career home run, but I doubt I actually saw it.

Good times.
  11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Couldn't you just find a baby sitter and enjoy the game?
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Take her to a minor league game. You won't feel so bad about spending the money on tickets if you only see two innings.
Draft saved Draft deleted