1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take this shirt and bury it in concrete to avoid a three-block stench

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, May 6, 2008.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3383306

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Some parents are just too permissive

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Kid probably hasn't had a bath in that long either - well, you know, they may have made him bathe with it on.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Maybe mom washed the shirt every night. If not, well, he got the shirt when he was 8 or 9. Kids that age don't get B.O. so bad. At that age I wore shirts days in a row.

But my question is this: If the kid is from Ridgefield, Conn., why does the story have a Green Bay dateline?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

The mom did wash it every other day, according to the story. I remember hearing about this years ago and the shirt being in tatters and the number/name being long gone even back then.

That really is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen/heard. It's one thing to wear your shirt days in a row. Quite another when days turn into more than 1,500. That's just insane.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've actually heard of autistic kids who need to wear the same outfit every day, or they cannot function.

I read a story of a family with a kid who had to wear a yellow polo shirt every day.. The mom went to the store and bought seven of the same shirt. The school ended up calling Child Protective Services because they thought the parents were making the kid wear the same shirt day after day.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Here's what was cut from the link ...

In a development that may or may not be related, Witthoft and teachers at Witthoft's school, noticed that the child's decision-making skills diminished when a task was near completion.

Witthoft's gym teacher noticed that at the end of a dodgeball game, Witthoft would seemingly get flustered and just start winging the ball at anyone, whether they had been hit by the ball to that point or not.

Witthoft himself refuted that claim, but did say if there was five minutes left on a quiz, his decision-making skills would become suspect.

"I'd get nervous or something, I could never place it. I'd get late in the test game, when everything was on the line, and I'd be like, 'Fuck, I'd better just start randomly circling letters and maybe they'll stick. I did one test where I circled all 'B's' in the last minute. B for Brett of course.

My teacher wrote down 'F for Favre' on the paper."

Towards the end of Witthoft's Favre-shirt wearing streak, he also became less tolerant of those around him at school and at home.

"He became quite difficult," Carolyn Witthoft said. "We confronted him about a D he got on a social studies worksheet. He got angry and he said he didn't have the supporting cast around him to move himself up to an A or B-level. He repeatedly threatened to drop out of middle school if the school didn't hire some Mr. Moss I've never heard of."

Once a popular novelty act among his classmates, Witthoft began to be ridiculed as Favre's career wound down. He said the 2006-07 school year was particularly hard as classmates nicknamed him "29 Picks" -- a sarcastic reflection of Favre's 2006 season.

Some speculate that Witthoft finally decided to ditch the Favre jersey when classmates started calling him "Corey Webster".

During Witthoft's jersey retirement press conference, Deanna Favre made a surprise appearance and reiterated the point that all Brett Favre-related charity appearances in Green Bay were cancelled.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Did he wear Wranglers with his jersey, like Favre does on the commercials?

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's fantastic, Bubbler. Thank goodness for free time.

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

[/angry Wisconsin-ite]

11. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

The kid's retiring the shirt. But, if the kid he gives it to gets hurt or something early in the season, he'd be willing to put it back on.

12. Peter King's record is intact, I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted