1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take This Job and Shove it!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I think it's clear that the place brought out the worst in me and that if you people think I acted immaturely then I guess I have. Heck, I even admitted as much earlier. Oh well, I consider the matter closed. I'm not there anymore, thankfully.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Haven't read through this whole thread, but I'm guessing this applies: Don't burn bridges. You never know which ones you'll have to cross again in the future.

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Truer words have never been spoken. After my paper got rid of me, the first job I interviewed for was working at Safeco Field on gamedays. The guy that interviewed me happened to be someone I worked for 9 years ago when I was starting college.

4. Man this is Circuit City!
    It ain't a career is it?
    Unless you are management don't worry about it. Screw them and don't look back and don't think twice about it.

One of my first jobs out of college, I was working for a car dealer. Hated it.
    They wanted us to bum rush every dude who walked on the lot immediately.
    I know it was the way they wanted us to do business (high pressure sales), but I know how I like to shop. Give people a few minutes to look around, ask them if they need help or have any questions. If they say no. Back away.
    Not this place... Hit fast and hard and stick to them. Don't let them leave.

Anyway. one Saturday the manager, the owners prick son, is chewing me out (while eating a whole rotisserie chicken).
    Finally, he asks "Do you like working here?"
    I thought about it for a minute and said finally spit out "No. I quit."
    I turned around put my stuff in my briefcase and headed out the door never to return.

A year of so later prick boy and his dad are facing charges for cooking the books. The dealership shuts down and the old man ends up doing some prison time.

That was about as nasty as I got quitting a job.

Edit:
    I knew I would not be making a career out of car sales - muchless sales - so I didn't give a shit. Plus a have a bit of a temper.

When I left my next few jobs, before finding my calling in newsprint, I did so with a two week notice and left on good terms.

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Well, I don't ever plan on going back into retail and no I wasn't management but that still doesn't excuse the way I handled my particular situation.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

It's a transition job. Who cares?

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

One never knows who a potential future boss might know.

8. Tommy_Dreamer

I can assure you that the moron that was in the position above me will never get out of retail work. Next time I'll see him he'll have to call me sir and put up with it.

But you're right Flash, that was a transition job that didn't pan out. Oh well :D

9. Flash

Flash Guest

That's fine, too. But I doubt Tommy_Dreamer will put it on his resume or talk about it in a candidate's interview.

Hell, I've told fast-food managers to get fucked. Has yet to come back and haunt me.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I have told people at fast food restaurants I did not work at to get fucked.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

LOL ... so have I!

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hey, I didn't say some of them didn't deserve that.

But I just got laid off from a part-time spot. Admittedly, the temptation was never there because I know it wasn't a performance-based move and I'd like to think those folks thought enough of my work and would say some decent things if need be.

I hear you. I know T_D doesn't have a need for those people professionally, but on the off chance that someone knows someone else - no matter the industry - there's little point in throwing them in front of the train publicly. It probably feels good at that moment, but the backlash could last much longer than that moment and tends to be severe on occasion.

Draft saved Draft deleted