1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take some time off, Jay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Except for the fact that they love the free publicity...

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Doesn't his supervising editor have to take some of the credit/blame for this?

3. Or whoever it was that negotiated the contract.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No... It's whoever agreed to put that into his contract. He probably has something in his contract that says he will write between 150-180 columns in a year. He probably wrote every day for two weeks leading up to the Super Bowl, especially since the Sun-Times only sent five staffers to the Super Bowl, which stuns the hell out of me.

In defense of Mariotti, he does write a lot more than most No. 1 columnists...

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm contractually obligated to write five to six articles a month for my pub. If I write more than that, I don't get paid for that work. So guess what I do? Write five to six articles a month.
    Someone probably made a judgment at the ST that said they'd rather have Mariotti write as much as he could during the Bears Super Bowl run and then take their chances knowing that he'd hit his total number.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What's Jay really going to miss? He's not irreplaceable for the Masters and wouldn't be missed for the Final Four unless a local team makes it (unlikely). Sure, he could write the usual Cubs-suck stuff in March and April, but it's not like those columns won't be possible in midsummer, early fall or the rest of eternity.

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

Hey, if you could get that deal, wouldn't you take it? I hear people on this site complain all the time about working more than their employers pay for, so shy does Mariotti not get his "Sunday's off."
    There will be a Final Four, Opening Day and Masters et al, next year.

8. yep

amazing what people get ripped for on this board

doing what every single one of us would also do

fulfill the terms of their contract

unreal

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Who's ripping the deal?

We're just doing a review of The Faults of Eddie, which are legion.

10. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Can someone tell me why we hate Jay here again? Because he's tough on the local teams in an enormous market where the people who run said teams have traditionally been, until the last few years, bumbling morons? Good reason.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

12. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

That's fair. It shouldn't just be because he rips, though. Because a lot of those people deserve it.

Draft saved Draft deleted