1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take some time off, Jay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Feb 16, 2007.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

If this is a DB, I apologize. Noticed this on Poynter, from the Chicago Tribune:

Jay Mariotti, who pops up in the paper almost as often as those naked kids in the "Love Is ..." comics, counted up his columns the other day and realized he's already written more pieces than his contract requires him to deliver for the 12-month period ending April 30.
    So rather than pound out another explanation for why things aren't the way they ought to be, he intends to take a vacation--until May. So much for the Masters, the NCAA Final Four, baseball's opening day and the first blown save of the season.
    "Certainly the paper misses him," Editor Michael Cooke said, "but we have a lot of bench strength."
    Mariotti will continue to appear at the paper even if he's not in it, coming into the newsroom to tape his regular "Around the Horn" appearances for ESPN. But his regular targets can rest easy knowing hunting season doesn't resume for a couple months.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Take ALL the time you need, Jay. Newspapers will be around FOREVER.

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Is this for real?

His main redeeming quality has always been being prolific.

This is really disappointing if it's true.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

All Beared out.

How will we all survive?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Just so we're clear on this, May of what year?
    Signed,
    Hopeful.

6. JohnnyChan

JohnnyChan Member

Fellas,

Considering the fact that he was back at work about 15 minutes after having a heart procedure, maybe we can cut the guy a little slack and wish him godspeed during his sabbatical?

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hey, we'll all be blessed with his regular exposures on Around The Horn.

There'll be plenty of Jay to go around.

8. JohnnyChan

JohnnyChan Member

For the record, I had the same procedure Jay had a year ago, and I took six weeks off. And, yes, I did other things -- research for a book in my case, as opposed to TV -- that the doctors agreed were far less stressful than pumping out four columns a week.

Just a thought, is all. I mean the guy WAS back at work and writing every day in what had to be contrary to his doctor's advice.

9. Take all the time you need, Jay. I won't miss your bullshit hatchet-jobs on every Chicago sports team.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

He's honoring his contract. No doubt he'd be willing to write even more columns if they want to pay for them, but this is what they agreed to.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Does anyone else think this is just a weird story?

You count up your columns, realize somehow you are TWO MONTHS ahead of your requirement, so you just leave?

And even if that were the case, following Johnny's example wouldn't it reflect better on both the paper and Jay to just say 'had a serious health ordeal, taking a couple of months to recover...' instead of this?

I feel like I'm missing something here.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He took about two months off after last summer's fandango, didn't he?

What the hell was that all about again? I forgot already (actually, I think I willed myself to forget it). The deal with Guillen?

Draft saved Draft deleted