1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take note if you fly United

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Apr 21, 2008.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

UAL Corp.'s United Airlines said Sunday that it was raising the fee it charges passengers to change tickets to $150 from $100 in an effort to combat high fuel costs.

It also added a Saturday-night-stay requirement on all tickets on which it competes head to head with the other older traditional carriers. A spokeswoman said the requirement will affect 65% of the markets it serves. That will have the most impact on business travelers, who typically don't want to spend a Saturday night in their destination.

U.S. airlines have announced a number of fare increases, fuel surcharges and fee rises recently as they battle higher fuel prices and a weakening economy.

UAL said April 10 that it has raised fares in the U.S. and Canada by as much as $30 per round trip. United Airlines has raised fares from $4 to $30 per round trip depending on mileage and competition from low-cost carriers.

"In an environment where fuel prices are averaging almost $120 a barrel, we are facing a cost increase of more than $2 billion this year, and that is more than twice the operating earnings we generated last year," the spokeswoman said in a statement Sunday.

"Making these changes is another example of how we need to continue to adapt to today's tough market realities and find new ways to generate revenue."

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's too bad, but don't blame them on the Saturday night-stuff.

But the change fee boost is bloody merciless.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My kids are going to grow up in a world where they never see anything outside of a 35-mile radius from their hometown. The days of easy travel are gone.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

poor kids. Only place they'll ever know is Hooterville, Pixley and if they're lucky, the County Seat.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If I had my druthers, I'd drive ... but when I fly ... this is why I fly Southwest.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Good thing I've already booked my $1,672 ticket, which, amazingly, is $667 more than the fare for the exact same bleeping itinerary I flew two months ago.

Fortunately, only first and last legs are on United.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Fuck every United executive with a rusty fucking chainsaw.

Draft saved Draft deleted