1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Re: Take care of yourself (LiveSTRONG)

I'd say so. I worked out a lot for a few years before I started working with her and had nothing to show for it. The key was keeping a food diary.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, back to the reason I resurrected the thread. I felt really bad about my stupid yellow rubber bracelet breaking. No idea where I can buy a new one, so I just ordered it from Lance Armstrong's foundation's website. I had to buy 10 of them. And the shipping was almost as much as the $10 for the bracelets. But I like having one of them on my arm as a reminder to be good.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Enjoyed an 'active' vacation last week up at Bear Lake. Tuesday was a 35-40 mile ride from my folk's house to the other end of the valley.

Only bad thing was I forgot sunscreen. I have some seriously hardcore tan lines on the biceps and thighs now and the skin is starting to peal. My younger kids think I've got a disease of some sort and told me to go see a doctor.

I followed that up with some hiking in the mountains and a couple of smaller rides.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

That is amazing!!! Congratulations! And yes, nutrition is everything ... me, I have a hard time cutting out some of the finer things in life, like ice cream and beer. (Not together)

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

my first triathlon is Monday.

I'm predicting a top-five age group finish.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Do they have five people competing in the geriatrics?

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Awesome. What distance?

Anyone here ever do an Ironman?

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

It's a really tiny Tri, 21. In fact, my 12-year-old daughter is racing with me after I bribed her to sign up.

It's designed specifically for youth and families.

It's just a 150 yard swim, 4.6-mile bike, 1.5-mile run race around a city park/rec center. I'm using it as an intro for myself and to kick off a fall/winter training program that will get me ready to compete in the Tri my cousin died in last spring. A bunch of us cousins are going to race it in his memory.

I'm also doing a 100k bike ride with David Zabriskie in a couple of weeks. That should be interesting to see him completely coasting while the rest of the peloton is busting ass to try and keep up.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Reminds me of when Peg Bundy is pregnant and tells Bud to go get her tabacco and clams ice cream.

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I have a really random question to take to the masses. It requires just a little backstory, so bear with me.

When I was young(er), before I ever got my driver's license, I would walk everywhere I needed to go. Across town for a summer lifting session at school? Hoof it, etc... Never learned how to ride a bike. I always knew I had pretty crappy balance, so I never bothered.

Years later, it seems like biking would be something I would really enjoy. Obviously, now, I regret not taking the time to learn when I was a kid. The big question, then: Can an adult who's never ridden before learn how to ride a bike? It seems like a really stupid question, but folks on here have known me as a dumbass for some time. ;)

Seriously though, I'm wondering if it's something I can pick up in a day or two, or if at 31, it would be a bigger pain than it's worth and I should just look at investing in jogging shorts.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Try training wheels for a few days. :D

seriously, though, you shouldn't be upset with yourself. It's your parents that failed you. That said, you can learn. and it is good exercise and a good way to commute if you live close enough to work. If I didn't come home from work after midnight, I'd peddle the 8 miles to the office every day I'm scheduled to be there.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just get on a bike in an empty parking lot, and try. Keep pedaling. If you tip over the first time, it's because you got nervous....try again. In five minutes, you will wonder why you worried about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted