1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Member

Re: Take care of yourself (LiveSTRONG)

Nice work, Songbird. Though you might see about some new shorts. Don't forget to get outside and exercise from time to time. It is a totally different experience than in a gym, especially this time of year.

When you can run for 60 minutes in August, then, by God, you're the fuckin' man.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thanks. I agree about outside training. That's the thing about a sexmill: it's powered to help you along as opposed to stationary ground you must plod against. In that regard, it's easier to run 6 miles on the mill. Once you get your second wind, it's more about settling into a rhythm. I just hope my knees don't die on me.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you put the treadmill on an incline of 1 percent or 1.5 percent, it helps better approximate running outside--taking into account that the belt is doing some of the work for you, you aren't getting wind resistance and you aren't getting small up and down hills.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I had a trainer who discouraged running or walking outdoors. She felt that people tended to work harder on a treadmill.

5. The Big Ragu

OK. So I have a yellow Livestrong bracelet that I have worn as a constant reminder to do right--eat right, exercise, etc. Thing ripped in half before. Does that mean I am about to die strong?

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Horseshit. The wind resistance, the roll of hills ... it all makes you work harder. Please don't hire that trainer ever again.

And Songbird, ya big flirt!!!

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

What the hell were you peddling? More Mormon literature?

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Scary.

You get on a treadmill, you always have the tempting option of getting off the treadmill.  
    You start walking or running outdoors, you can't just quit and reach for the Cheetos...you still have to get home.
    Much less boredom outside...more to look at, constant changes of scenery. You get bored with this path, go over to that path.

Treadmills are easier than pavement on the knees, no question. But absolutely, people who only use treadmills burn out faster and quit more often than outdoor runners or walkers.

Currently relieving my workout boredom by heading to a big park nearby, and sprinting back and forth across the soccer field. Fast hard windsprints, with a brief rest in between. Feels amazing, and easy on the joints since it's all on grass.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In '02, about 8 weeks before I went to Amsterdam, I'd go to a local track for a great workout: sprint the straight-aways and walk the bends. Then I went to 'Dam for a week, smoked like a chimney, chowed like Kobiyashi at a hot-dog-eating contest, and came back to put back all of the weight back on.

10. The Big Ragu

I've been almost exclusively on the treadmill since starting up running again after messing up my leg--recently taking it outside again on the weekends. I like the treadmill because I can more easily keep track of mile times. It would be cool if I wasn't too scared of going all out. It's how I messed up my leg in the first place... Wasn't in "running shape" and was trying to break the three minute mile. My conditioning was OK, but my legs weren't up to it and they gave out. Now, I am going at about what I would guess is 80 percent of my max. Mostly 7:30 miles, but will scale it back to 8 or 8:30 for some of the run depending on how I feel. Part of it is the leg, part of it is old age. I set the incline to 1, 1.5 or 2 percent depending on the morning, but it still isn't the same as running outside. I'm doing 4 to 6 miles a morning on the treadmill. Other benefit of the treadmill is that it is at the gym and I get to do the rest of my workout all in one place. I also row, use an ab machine and dumbbells and free weights for some other ab exercises. I kind of fell out of shape compared to where I used to be and my goal is to get into the best shape of my life this year. I should be adding sprints on grass the way you are describing so my body doesn't get bored with the same workouts.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

In her defense, she did help me lose 90 pounds. We didn't agree on everything, however.

12. The Big Ragu

Wow. That is a lot of weight. Diet had to have played a bigger role than exercise, though, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted