1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Re: Take care of yourself (LiveSTRONG)

Fight the power, Xan.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Nothing like bananas and Pria bars for lunch. ::) A 175-calorie lunch.

I'll get through it. As soon as I'm done with the pages I 'm going for a 45-minute run on the sexmill followed by 30 minutes on the eliptical or Stairmaster.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Mmm, one of my favourite snacks (which I just had after getting home from doing chest and abs) is a bowl of fresh pineapple and cottage cheese. It's low fat and it's loaded with protein. Try it.

HC, been there, done that with the depression/medication thing. One of the best ways to treat depression is exercise. The endorphins are so good for you. It's hard for me not to smile after a good, hard hour on the weights.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Xan ... once you wean yourself off that shit, you'll stop craving it. Trust me. I eat fast food maybe two times a month now, and I don't miss it a bit.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

It's true. And eventually, the smell of greasy food will make you want to vomit.

6. Songbird

I haven't had fast food in 5-plus months. I've had Chinese food a few times, but zero fast food. The smell of it today, though, really gave me a jones for it. I passed. No biggie.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can't do this. I have to do the cardio before weights, because lifting and ab work is like a walk in the park compared to the cardio workouts I put myself through. If I used energy lifting first, there's no way I'd be able to make it through my cardio, which is the more draining part of the workout.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree with a lot of what people have said. Don't know if you got a sense of what I'll eat and what I won't eat when we were in Toronto, HC, but it's pyschotically restrictive. I haven't eaten any meat, poultry or fish in 13 years or so, and I haven't eaten any dairy or egg in a year. Not suggesting others do that--you should do what works for you. But those things are so fully out of my system that I don't crave them in the least. The thought of eating meat or fish grosses me out so thoroughly actually, that for me, it's probably pretty close to what people would feel if they were presented with a plate of maggots. And while cheese would still be a weakness for me if I ate it, it's so fully out of my system that I don't crave it at all. I was able to walk into the pizza place with everyone that Friday night and the thought of eating anything there didn't appeal to me at all. Considering how much I used to love pizza, that is a pretty big deal. It just takes time, but you get there.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for the suggestions.  I am trying to eat sensibly, cutting fats, eating lean protein (sorry, Ragu, I love me some meat), whole grains and no sugar.  I read a book called "The G.I. Diet" when first told I was diabetic which recommends eating foods with lower glycemic indexes.  I find this works well and my blood sugar has been stable for the past year. I have also put breakfast back into my day which is a chore since I start work at 7:30 am and that's early to be eating for me.

Thanks again for all the support.  I'm enjoying this new life style (so far!)  :D

10. Songbird

Food will always be the weakness for me even when I conquer it, which I have for the most part. I've always eaten what I wanted when I wanted, and as much as I wanted. Eight or nine months ago there was a thread in which I wrote down a dinner I had from McDonalds to and fro a soccer game. It was pretty unhealthy.

What I've basically learned to do is cut out the fast food, and the enormous portions -- even "healthy" food. People think that because something is healthy you can gorge on it. But calories are calories. A cutie pie trainer at the gym said that even too much spinach in one sitting can offset weight-loss. It's all about moderation.

The other thing apparently is to eat all of the food groups during each meal. Cells are made up of protein, fats and carbs. So the healthy thing is to eat, for instance, a bagel with something protein-y and something a little fatty. The digestion process is healthier, she told me, when all of the food groups work in concert.

11. accguy

accguy Member

Here's a question for y'all. So I've been going to a new gym in my town for the last month or so. When I went there, there were several Cybex "Arc Trainers," a piece of equipment that my previous gym didn't have. Any opinions? I've done it a couple of times (it claimed I burned 404 calories in 30 minutes tonight). I'm not a big runner, so I hate the treadmill. When I want to ride the bike, I go on a real bike ride. That makes me pretty much an eliptical guy. I guess the one that I use the most is the Precor one with the ramp that goes up and down. I do a half hour of the weight loss program and it seems to work pretty well.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I started using the Cybex Arc trainer a few months ago and I like it. I also do the "weight loss" program on the Precor EFX and like that one, too (though I've yet to figure out how to increase the difficulty of the program).

Draft saved Draft deleted