1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. IdahoHack

IdahoHack Guest

Re: Take care of yourself (LiveSTRONG)

Here's something I've noticed. You very rarely see obese elderly people. Overweight, sure, but I can't remember seeing an obese old person. It's because they tend to die young.

If you want to live into and past your 60s, please take an honest look at yourself naked in a mirror. If you have a hard time seeing things/parts you think you should see without lifting chunks of flesh, schedule an appointment with a doctor soon, and follow that with an appointment with either a dieticion, personal trainer or health club membership director.

Also, if you are married and/or have children, contact a life insurance agent.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Probably the best advice on this thread.

Don't over do anything. There's NOTHING wrong with indulging yourself, as long as it doesn't become your lifestyle. And that includes obsessing over fitness and diet.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Everything in moderation. Including moderation.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Said much better and in fewer words than I managed. Thank you.

5. Redswriter

Redswriter Guest

Where did you learn all this nutrition stuff? You seem to know what you're talking about.

Here's my question:

Seems to me, most of the diets out there are a bunch of BS. Would you agree? If so, what ones have you heard are the most effective.

Personally, I don't think there's any substitute for exercise and common sense.

6. goalmouth

Reds-

Anyone can lose weight on a diet, that's why they're so popular. That's easy. Keeping the weight off means a fundamental change in life and the way a person does everyday things. That is hard, hard, hard.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Reds--We make fun of athletes for all kinds of things, but this is one area where we can learn something. And I have.

This subject is a passion of mine, because when it works, it's amazing. I'm also extremely vain about my body, and I take extremely good care of it, and so should you all. And I say that without trying to be provocative or suggestive.

I never diet, I just eat well. The diets just can't work for everyone, because we all have different metabolisms. You might lose weight immediately on a diet plan, just because you're cutting calories, but you'll gain it back as fast as you lost it, as soon as you end the diet. You have to think long-term.

It's just common sense. You just cannot be in good shape without exercise, especially of you're over 30. And once you start adding pounds, they are increasingly difficult to take off as you age.

I never understand the 'working out is hard on the road' excuse. If anything, it's easier....every hotel has a gym, and there's plenty of down time.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

When I travel I find that circuit training gives me a great high intensity workout in a short time. You can get it done with dumbbells which most gyms have now. Try can get done in less than an hour.

Here is how it works:
    -Run for 10 minutes at high intensity pace (7-8 min ml)

- go to bench do chest press 2 sets 15-20 reps 30 SEC rest
    - back to treadmill 3 minutes increasing speed each minute (last minute at 8min pace
    - Fly's 2 sets 15-20 reps
    - treadmill 3 mins
    - military presses 2 sets 15-20
    -treadmill 3 min
    - pulldowns (Or some lat work) 2 sets 15-20
    -treadmill 3 min
    - Arm curls 2 sets
    - treadmill 3 min
    - triceps work-- triceps work
    - squats
    - situps
    You can do this whole workout in 45 minutes and burn 1500 calories. the whole idea is to keep heart rate up at 70-80 % max.

If you have MP3 player burn an hour of music and listen to it as you work out. It will improve you workout and make it go faster,

9. goalmouth

And forget about ab exercises or spot fat reduction. The body decides where the weight comes off first. Muscles burn calories, and you can put on new muscle anytime, even when you're 100. It's like turning back the clock.

I got nutrition religion years ago. Less processed food, more slow-burning carbs, lean protein. And don't believe what the food companies put on their labels.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Boom: Just asking, why not do fewer reps with heavier weights?  If you're doing 15-20 reps, seems like you're lifting too light. (Not you specifically, just in general).
    Assuming you're lifting to add muscle, not just adding cardio work.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Its my travel workout not my regular routine -- the whole idea is to be able to get to get a workout done in less than an hour. Also works with almost any equipment.
    This workout will not build muscle mass but it will tone,maintain and burn calories. As far as weight you have to experiment. I try to pick the weight as heavy as possible that allows me to complete 2 sets.
    I think the whole key to working out on road is finding routine that is fun and doable-- otherwise you skip. this workout with music is fun.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm not overweight, but I've changed my diet a little bit (reducing carb intake by about 30-40 percent) to reflect some of the Atkins theory. Also, while generally a grazer type eater, I've begun forcing myself to eat a larger breakfast even though I never feel like eating for several hours after getting up. I stick to lean meats and veggies in the evening. I allow myself a few Amstel Lights.

For exercise, I lift for about 45 minutes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings. I do three sets of four different exercises with moderate weight and I rotate exercises on a quarterly basis to ensure balance. I follow this with sit-ups and stretching. At 45, my goal is to maintain muscle mass with good tone and keep my stomach somewhat flat.

I get my aerobic work by running up the stairs at the 47th Street-Madison Ave. exit at Grand Central Terminal and moving quickly as I weave in between and around the goddam tourists gawking at the skyscrapers.

You've heard of road rage? Well, I have sidewalk rage. Perhaps I need some yoga or meditation, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted