1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Another week, another 42 miles walked, 2,537 miles walked since 1/1/20.

HC likes this.
  2. Songbird

Snowing like a mofo but got enough of a walk in. Couldn't use the sidewalks so I walked down streets behind plows. Won't be able to walk at the park later and that sucks.

3. Songbird

Another week, another 35 (or so) miles walked for a total of 2,572 miles walked since 1/1/20.

4. Songbird

Another week, another 25 miles walked for a total of 2,597 walked since 1/1/20.

Final week of walking for the year underway.

Webster, LanceyHoward and HC like this.
  5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

7.1 million steps and 3,560 miles this year

6. Songbird

Nice job. That's a lot of mileage.

After tomorrow's walks, the weekly total will be 42 and yearly total will finish at 2,639.

I really miss swimming laps at the rec center. Haven't been in the pool since April.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I ended with all but 6 days with 10k steps. If not for shoulder surgery, it would have been 2.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I just stepped on a scale for the first time since the pandemic started and I am truly horrified.

If the number is accurate, I'm nearly 20 pounds OVER where I was when I got "religion" on working out 3 1/2 years ago and 50 pounds over the best I accomplished during that period. I've been doing yoga videos five days a week. I walk at least two miles three times a week at least. I'd try to run but it's January in Minnesota so even the shoveled sidewalks have ice and the cold air screws up my sinuses. The local Y is sort of open, but I still think exercising indoors with other people is unwise.

Cooking is one of the few things I can do alone in my one bedroom apartment that I really enjoy. Damn it.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Started on Noom last week because a friend of mine had some success with it. Really enjoying it so far, just from an accountability standpoint. It's more about psychology than specific meal plans, but the green/yellow/red thing does guide you to recognize what foods you can eat plenty of (fruits, veggies, whole grains) and which to really limit (foods with high calorie density). Nothing's off limits, but when you enter your food intake and your exercise, it gives you a really good idea of where you stand at the end of the day, and it may motivate you to go for that extra session in the gym or that extra walk after dinner. It does ask you to log your weight every day, but I'm not going to do that. It's supposed to be a long range solution and seeing that number on a daily basis is a bit disheartening toward reaching a long-term goal. I'll weigh in once a week to see where I stand.

The biggest thing is cutting WAY the hell back on booze. I got into a terrible pattern of drinking multiple IPAs a night, and that comes at like a 1,000-calorie cost with no nutritional value. Not going to quit the sauce, but those Monday-Thursday happy hours are out for now. Will make drinking more fun on the weekends, anyway, with lighter fare (light beers or vodka seltzers) as the norm and the occasional good beer as a treat. Will incorporate a cheat day on the weekend, but I've enjoyed the cleaner eating so far on the weekdays.

Songbird likes this.
  10. Songbird

Went for the first walk at 5 when it was 0 degrees. Supposed to get up to 10 degrees by 9!

Screenshot_20210125-075653_One UI Home.jpg

HC likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

First month of Noom report: Down 12 pounds and I just feel better and more energetic. Amazing what a mix of cleaner eating, limiting booze on the weekdays and increased exercise can do. I've logged more than 125 miles walking this month. One of the biggest takeaways so far is focusing on portion size, and what you think is one serving of something is probably like two or more servings. I actually measured out what a 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce, for instance, looks like, and same with the whole wheat pasta. I was easily dumping 2 1/2 servings on my plate before. I've also learned a lot of great little tricks, rediscovered a love for fruits and veggies and it's great to look at your meal log at the end of the day and see a lot of green on it. Definitely motivated to keep it going into the spring.

Songbird likes this.
  12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I hate men. 27 days in, lost 6 pounds. It's good, but you all lose it easier.

HC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted