1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

7 more days in the book: 46 miles, all outdoors, mostly walking as I strained my left calf early in the week.

Last 23 weeks: 629.10 miles.

@Dick Whitman update: He ran 20 miles yesterday.

2. Songbird

Another 7 days in the book: 55 miles, all outdoors.

Last 24 weeks: 684.10 miles.

I got another A1c test last Friday and it came in a 5.2, which is where it should have been last month.

So the diabetes is in remission and I'm 50-55 pounds lighter.

And I'm eating baby carrots and a green apple right now and washing it down with black coffee.

I Should Coco and HC like this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

good work

Songbird likes this.
  4. Songbird

Another 7 days in the book: 51.5 miles.

Last 25 weeks: 735.6 miles.

And, just weighed in at 248.6 ... first time I've been in the 240's in at least 10 years.

I'll probably gain a few back today in water weight but I'm within range of where I want to be now.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Nice.

Keep at it.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Great job!

Now do a little demonstration. I don't know if you have a scale in your house, but I've five this a couple of times. Get a full laundry basket and weigh yourself with it. It should add an extra 30 pounds or so. But it will blow your mind given how heavy the basket feels that you were once carrying that weight in you every day. I did this to make sure my scale was giving me a true reading (kind of resetting it) and it was crazy to think that I had lost that much weight. I'm just below 210 now (fluctuating between 207 and 209) after weighing as much as 263.

Songbird likes this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I used my 50th b-day last month as the impetus to try to get back into a semblance of shape. I wasn't totally out of shape, but I had really started a pronounced decline from where I was even just a few years ago. Add to it, head case problems (mostly intense anxiety and panic attacks that come and go -- I went for an annual physical recently and the doctor was alarmed because I hadn't been sleeping and I looked like hell and my blood pressure was elevated, but it came way back down on a follow up visit 5 days later), and intense cardiovascular exercise used to be a really good regulator for me. I just lost my way a bit.

It's only been a few weeks, but I have been running (more like jogging compared to what I used to be able to do) at least 6 days a week, splitting it between outdoors and a treadmill. I have been going anywhere from 3 1/4 miles to 5 miles, depending on the day and how the legs feel. I hadn't gotten obese, but I did weigh 168 at the doc's office, which is heavier than I should be with my frame. Some of the extra weight is already starting to melt off of me. The doctor even said this. ... if you have exercised in the past, the body remembers and takes to it again pretty quickly. Which I am finding to be true. It is also helping to regulate my mind -- endorphin highs have always been a good thing for me. Because of my work, I need to run early in the morning, like Rocky time. I then shower and do a guided meditation for a half hour. Then I am ready for work. I am not all there yet, but physically (and a bit mentally), I am already starting to feel a bit better.

I think the hardest thing is going to have to accept that I am 50 and I won't be able to run at the pace I once was able to, even when I get my wind totally back. But my goals are pretty simple: 1) Be the best I can be at this age, 2) just feel better -- physically and mentally.

When my conditioning gets a bit better -- I am guessing a few more weeks, but maybe it will take a bit longer -- I am going to add the rowing machine in, which was something I used to enjoy. I'd run 3 1/2 miles on a treadmill and then go right to a rowing machine and try to set a personal best for a half hour row. We'll see if I can keep it up and follow that routine. But for right now, it's just running to ease my way back.

One goal I have, and this won't make sense to anyone but me: I want to buy a tailored velvet jacket. Ron Duguay wears one (he's still in phenomenal-looking shape for a guy in his 60s) sometimes during the NY Rangers pregame shows, and even though he's a more handsome man than I am, I decided I wanted one. But I won't get one until I have the body for it. At this pace, maybe fairly soon. Then I have no idea where or when I will ever wear it, because it's not really me, but I have been telling people I am going to wear it everywhere -- if I can wear it in the shower I will.

8. Songbird

Another 7 days in the book: 52.75 miles.

Last 26 weeks: 788.35 miles.

Today's weight after the cardio: 245 pounds, down a full 60 since the start.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

After taking basically a year+ off and just living a good life, I know it's time to start tightening things up a bit and towards that end I dropped by a mom-and-pop runner's shoe store to get some new kicks. Man, what a great experience. The saleswoman first asked me a bunch of questions, then had me walk back and forth across the floor, then picked some styles and had me put them on and run on the treadmill while she filmed me with an iPad. It was awesome, because she could show me how my gait incrementally improved with each shoe (I'd never noticed before just how much my left leg pronates 10 years after ACL replacement. Anyway...do yourself a favor next time you need new running shoes, see a professional.

(By the way, I've been a Solomon guy lately, and before that rotated between Asics and Saucony...but the Saucony finished second and I'm a Brooks guy now. Never would I have tried on a Brooks without the assistance).

Dog8Cats likes this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am not much of a runner anymore. I have been doing about 3.5 to 5 miles, depending on the day, but at a snails pace compared to the way I used to run. But I am wearing a pair of Brooks right now. I don't think they make them anymore. They were Brooks PureConnect. I liked the shoes, so I bought a bunch of them and have been going through them. Not sure what I am going to do when I run out of them. They are a pretty minimalist pair of shoes.

11. Songbird

Another 7 days in the book: 48 miles

After 27 weeks: 836.35 miles.

Weight after today's 8 miles: 247 ... fluctuating between 245 and 250 this week.

HC likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Nice. Keep at it.

Draft saved Draft deleted