1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Got a giant box of cookies from my sister. Ate about 6 and went to the gym. Hadn't been there in about two months. Alternated running and incline walking with 20-pound kettle balls for 40-plus minutes. Not bad. More fulfilling than my home workouts.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

December 23
    128: after waking up
    113: after breakfast
    116: after lunch

97: after dinner

It was my first sub-100 post-prandial score, meaning 2 hours after a meal. Recently I've had sub-100's but they were mostly late in the day after a snack or whatever, before dinner. This is the first time it's been sub-100 after a full meal.

I burned 1300 calories this morning. I'm taking tomorrow off. My body wants to chill.

Fly and QYFW like this.
  3. Songbird

Spent several days in NYC and the #bloodsugar scores reflect it. I did my best to eat healthy and exercise and think I succeeded by and large. It's a chore to eat well on the road.

I splurged a few times like on Wednesday night with a large piece of chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream ... you can guess which score correlates to that.

That all said, I'm down to 271 (this morning weight), which means I've lost 34 pounds. Realistically I'm between 271 and 278 depending on time of day.

December 27 to January 5 (sporadic testing on vacation)

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I have to say, if you're a man with any kind of muscle mass, it's almost criminally easy to lose weight. I've basically cut out pop and junk and I've lost five pounds in five days. That's a month's worth of effort for some people. I'm not saying that critically. I get that it can be hard to lose weight, especially when you don't have a lot to lose—those stubborn last few pounds—but if you're a bigger dude with any sort of muscle base, there's really no excuse not to be lighter than you are. It's a choice.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I've gained 77 pounds of (mostly) muscle in one year. I've lost 40 pounds in a year. But nothing prevents one from getting results like raising kids. Let me just say it throws a wrench into the choices you have to make.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Of course. I'm just saying that there are certain body types—I'm guessing ours are similar given your numbers—that have a big advantage when it comes to this stuff. Not all bodies are created equal when it comes to gaining or losing weight. I can drop 20 pounds without really thinking about it. That would be a titanic ask for a 5-foot-4 woman.

EDIT: My post was really an admonishment of myself for being too heavy right now.

QYFW likes this.
  7. Songbird

I'm still in the honeymoon phase of having diabetes and love testing my #bloodsugar. I'm trying new test strips which came today. I ate lunch an hour+ ago ... chicken breast, stupid boring brown soup, coupla garlic-stuffed olives, something else that I don't remember but it wasn't bad, perhaps a rectangle of cheddar cheese ... so I draw some blood into the new strip and it's 110, which is super good for an hour+ after a meal but doesn't seem right because I know what scores usually are an hour+ later. So I tested again with the strips I've been using and it was 136.

I've been using One Touch Ultra, which are pricey. The new ones are GenUltimate, which are much cheaper but seem to work just as well minus the lower score between 20-25.

Let's see what the scores are a full 2 hours later. To be continued ...

Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 12.18.53 PM.png

8. Songbird

I just read the directions and apparently had to calibrate the code on the vial of strips with monitor. Took more blood and ...

20180126_124523.jpg

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I need to get my shit together. I enjoy exercising but most days I'm just too tired. Feel like I turned 73 the other day.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I'm probably more of an endomorph.

11. Songbird

If it makes you feel better, I burned 1,350 calories today and 1,300 yesterday.

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

If you're still fat I'll feel better.

Draft saved Draft deleted