1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

It's worked for me, although I do have to take medication (which is free at Publix through my insurance). With medication, dietary tweaks and more exercise, my numbers have improved considerably in the last year, though there's still more progress to be made. Unlike Songbird's doctor, who delivered good advice in a way that doesn't induce panic, my doctor had me believing that the occasional chocolate-chip cookie might cause me to keel over and die. Guess her approach worked, though, because I've curbed the excesses in my diet and make it a point to hit the exercise bike at the gym 45 minutes a day, five or six days a week.

Songbird, I join typefitter in wishing you the best!

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Being that I had testicular cancer and had the left one sawed off, the doc ordered 2 extra tests with last week's blood work, one of them to measure alpha-fetoprotein levels.

That one came back elevated at 11.1, which is 5 above normal range. He said not to worry, yet, but he wants me to have a lower abdomen and chest scan just to see what's up.

And he said I should just consider myself a type-2 diabetic and go about altering my lifestyle. He suggested I take a med called metformin. I said I'd think about taking pills.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

In true journalist fashion, you did not bury the lead.

Songbird likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Put it on the other thread, too, but I ran 5K in 19:33 this morning, a 6:18 pace per mile. My previous best pace that distance was 6:23 on Christmas Eve.

It was a motherfucker.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Mile on the treadmill last Wednesday: 13:22
    Mile on the treadmill last Thursday: 12:19
    Mile on the treadmill today: 11:19

I'm way out of shape, but I'm pushing to get better. Once I can get to a 10-minute mile consistently, then I'll increase the distance. It's going to be a long slog.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Been there. Great job.

It's amazing how quickly you drop time starting out. I'm half-jealous of you. It took me seven months of hellacious training to drop five seconds per mile from my 5K time.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Today's mile: 11:05. Increased the speed from 5.8 mph at 0.75 mile to 6.8 mph at 0.95-1.00. Of course, walked some, too, at 4.1 mph.

What holds me back is my poor diet. Too many carbs, too much sugar, not enough vegetables. If I get a handle on that and lose 20-25 pounds, I could run a lot faster. That's what I'm saying, anyway.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

This insane heat makes for some nice workouts. Don't have to try too hard to work up a sweat.

9. Dick Whitman

6.8 is moving!

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Started a lose weight/shape up program a couple of weeks ago. Have adopted (and stayed with so far) a physical activity regimen that puts me somewhere between "lightly active " and "moderately active." Have also been diligently watching the calories to stay below what all the main websites say I need to lose 1.5 to 2 pounds a week. Oh, and I've virtually eliminated alcohol ... had two Miller Lites on Saturday but that's been it since I've been on this thing.

Here's the thing: I'm supposed to eat, say, 1,900 calories a day, but with this approach (really just eating a decent breakfast, a Healthy Choice for lunch, and a reasonable dinner), I can't get enough calories! The last couple of days, I total things up after dinner and realize I'm 200, 300 calories short. Wondering if I should eat more (I'm not really hungry) or just not worry about it.

11. Dick Whitman

Not getting enough calories is never a problem for me.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

If your body needed the calories, you'd be hungry. I wouldn't sweat it.

Draft saved Draft deleted