1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Are arm floaties allowed?

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Seriously. Can I use a flutterboard?

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Is that akin to motorboating?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Noted this on the 5-minute mile thread, but I turned a 5:46 mile this week, which is a PR for me by 3 seconds.

My big 5K of the year is in mid-September, and then a marathon in November.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Got blood work done the other day.

Cholesterol: 190 ... < 200 mg/dL so that's not so bad.

Triglycerides: 317 ... < 150 mg/dL so that not good.

LDL, calculated: 97 ... <100 optimal

100-129 near optimal
    130-159 borderline high
    160-189 high
    >190 very high

HDL cholesterol: 30 ... L 40-60 mg/dL

Chol/HDL ratio: 6.3

Interpretation of chol/HDL ratio

1/2 ave. 3.4
    average 5.0
    2x ave 9.6
    3x ave. 23.4

Doc says: "Cholesterol numbers are off because of a low protective HDL and high triglycerides. A low carb diet and hanging in there with exercise may help these numbers."

Glucose: 176 ... high 70-99 mg/dL

Doc says: "Your blood sugar was elevated on fasting labs in a range that could mean you are diabetic."

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Yikes, if that's your fasting glucose level. Assume you have to take another test in a few months?

Songbird likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

These two things are in direct opposition, in my experience.

8. Dick Whitman

5:29 pace in the half-mile this morning, as noted on the 5-minute mile thread.

Another 8x800 workout next week, and then I'll give the mile another go a week from then.

Last week I also ran a 10K test at 6:39 pace, which was a PR for me by seven seconds per mile.

I'm having a pretty good training summer so far.

9. Songbird

UPDATE ...

Hemoglobin A1C result: 6.4

4.0-5.6 -- Non-Diabetic range
    5.7-6.4 -- Pre-Diabetic range
    => Diabetic

Doc said: Sending you your A1C which is elevated consistent with diabetes but not in a range that requires immediate medication. Would like you to schedule in a visit as soon as convenient to talk more about this. I can also set you up with a diabetes nurse educator which can be really helpful if you like. For starters, that bowl of ice cream you like should definitely go off your list except for the RARE exception, likewise all foods that have added sugar. Using whole grains when using carbs will help, modest portions help, exercise helps, and weight loss all help blood sugar control. It is possible that the elevated sugar can be contributing to your lower energy level. I'll talk to you in person as soon as you can schedule.

10. typefitter

Good luck with this. Sounds like you have a good doctor.

11. typefitter

PS: I know quite a few people who were pre-diabetic (?) or mildly diabetic and managed to get out of the risky range with diet and exercise. Apart from all the other good reasons to eat better and work out, not having to be medicated and avoiding the sometimes terrible complications of diabetes are pretty big incentives. Sincerely wish you the best here.

Bronco77 likes this.
  12. Songbird

Thanks.

Guess I'll have one more good bender (food, that is) and start to take this seriously.

Draft saved Draft deleted