1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Worry less about the ab exercises and more about just dropping fat (so burn calories). Biggest thing for 6-pack is just getting rid of the fat on top of them.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You're fucked.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Or you can have a belly with a 6 pack like the Iron Sheik

[​IMG]

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You don't. Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. (I don't have them and I run 50-plus miles per week.) Cardio helps somewhat, too.

5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Doing my first Tough Mudder in August with some family. Been doing a lot of running and swimming. Haven't done anything with weights, just push ups and pilates with a band to increase flexibility and strength. Looked at some of the videos online, looks pretty intense but also fun.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Yeah you will have a blast, especially if you are doing it with friends and family. I would recommend trying to squeeze in some basic upper body stuff like push ups and pull ups. There is a good bit of climbing/lifting yourself up.

Also, wear some fingerless gloves for grip.

7. Dick Whitman

I was proud to break my own PR in the mile this morning.

I ran it in 5:49. My previous best was in December, 5:54.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm officially training to do the Nation's Triathlon next year. I'll start with the sprint race, which is an 800-meter swim, 26.5K biking, and a 5k run.

If that goes OK, I'll try the Olympic one the following year, which basically doubles all of those distances.

The goal is to eventually complete an Iron Man by the time I turn 50.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Under six hours, not bad.

QYFW likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Awesome. Do you swim now? That's the part that seems to be a burr in everyone's side, including me, as I would also like to eventually take on a triathlon.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I can swim about a mile without keeling over, which is roughly 1600 meters. But that's in a pool -- this will be across the Potomac. Not sure how to simulate that.

12. Dick Whitman

Ostensibly I'm training for the marathon right now, but I have to admit I get the most pleasure of my mile run tests, because what kind of sick fuck is trying to sprint the mile after age 40? It makes me feel like a crazy person in a good way.

Draft saved Draft deleted