1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Final mile today of 7:13, though 9 seconds short of my PR pace for six miles. What's nice is if I can start to stretch the miles some, I'm right in Boston qualifying pace range. I really look forward to my first sub-7:00 split.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Several months ago, I tweaked my hamstring while stretching for a run. It's been bothering me a bit, but not enough to really stop me from anything. Until this week. I did deadlifts on Tuesday, a PT test on Thursday (push-ups, sit-ups, two-mile run), and it has been absolutely killing me, ever since. On the ibuprofen with a heating pad under my ass for the last two days.

Anyone have any stretching ideas that might help?

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Rest. You tore part of your hamstring. It needs time to heal itself.

4. Dick Whitman

Ran 7:14 pace over six miles today and broke a 7-minute mile today. Not setting any land speed records, but pretty happy with the progress and I'm starting to revive some old Boston dreams.

5. swingline

Dick, is this outdoor running or on the treadmill? Either way, great job.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That's a solid six-mile pace, Dick ... well done.

Just wondering if all the road miles are taking a toll on the joints (knee, hip, ankle, etc.) A friend my age (44) who did a ton of tris and a couple marathons in his 20s and 30s is staring at hip replacement surgery in the near future, and he was always in much better shape than me.

Getting old = no good. But on the other hand, it'll never get any easier, so don't give up those Boston Marathon dreams.

7. Dick Whitman

Outdoor.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Same age and my hips have been killing me lately. Can cut back on the home treadmill in a few weeks when the kids start up school again and I can diversify my workouts at the gym.

9. Dick Whitman

7:10 pace today over the six miles and ran 10 miles at a 7:55 average last weekend. Signed up for a 5K a month from now.

amraeder likes this.
  10. swingline

I did about 3.5 miles on a paved trail last night, alternating running a quarter-mile and walking one. Slow and sweaty. I need to first get into shape where I can run a half-mile, then a mile. After that, 2 miles. After that, a 5K without stopping. After that, I'll be skinnier and it won't make my knees bark.

11. Dick Whitman

What happens to stop you? Do you get short of breath or do your legs hurt too much?

12. swingline

Oh, I could keep jogging at a very slow pace, but I'd rather run fairly (for me) hard for a quarter than just putter along like an old fart (which I'm getting to be). I'm several years removed from the time when I could crank out 3:10 half miles, rest three minutes, and crank out another. My cardio capacity isn't what it once was.

Draft saved Draft deleted