1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Re: Take care of yourself (LiveSTRONG)

Today, the "Filthy Fifty." Fifty reps each, in order, of 24-inch box jumps, jumping pullups, 35-pound dumbbell swings, walking lunges, knees to elbows, 45-pound push press, back extensions, 20-pound wall ball (10-foot target), burpees, and tuck jumps (subbed for jump rope double unders, because I don't have a rope).

Total time = 41:14, a PR by at least 10 minutes and maybe by 14 or so. The tuck jumps are faster than the double unders, but still, a great day for me. And it's days like these -- like that sweet spot 7-iron that checks up five feet below the hole from 165 yards out -- that keep me coming back for more.

Oh, and run a quarter-mile in 1:37 after the filthy.

Joe

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Went a little lighter for more reps and went ass to grass. Some different muscle recruitment involved, that's for sure. Not entirely a good idea for me, I think ... at least until I go see a chiropractor.

Methinks there's something misaligned in my hips and that's creating some lower back issues for me. Almost knocked me out on deadlifts the other day. Went for a massage shortly after and the tight spot that my therapist had to use her elbow to loosen is still tender.

3. joe

joe Active Member

Today, "Cindy": 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats, as many rounds as you can do in 20 minutes. I did the first five rounds of pullups overhand, then cross-grip on the next two, then underhand for the rest.

Total: 14 rounds plus 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 9 squats. Finished off the 15th round in 20:09. The extras after the 14th round make up my PR -- and they're more than two full rounds more than the last time I did this workout. Woo. And. Hoo.

Joe

4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Gave up on the crappy hotel gym and went to the Tempe YMCA today. Good hour with a 10-minute cardio start and a good 50-ish minutes of weights. Nice to get back in a real gym ... and hopefully I can continue to find good ones on my travels.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Oh God, hotel gyms suck for people who are serious about their lifting.

I think when they're planning, they ask themselves 'how we can stuff the greatest amount of least useful equipment into the smallest space possible?'

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Yeah, I'm settled in the mountains. The altitude is more than 7,000 feet here and it's been warmer than 30 three of the 12 days I've lived here, two of them when I moved in. So I haven't worked out yet. But I've put together my St. Louis Marathon (April 19) training plan and magneted it to my fridge, so I have something to look forward to. And I'll run when I'm with the family down south.

Joe, way to go! When you've been doing the kind of training you've been doing, it's hard to imagine a 10K but you made it work. You broke an hour, which is a good barrier. What's next for you? Half-marathon?

Ducky... New shoes in a race? Come on. Good for beating the marathon winner to the line, though, and I hope you've discovered the joys of running in the rain -- what am I saying? You're a PNWer, you know no other way. :) Also, think about getting a yoga ball and deflating it for easy storage in your bag. It's a great workout tool that can collapse easily when you head out on the road.

Flash, I don't see it as running aimlessly, unless I'm on a treadmill (where I will do roughly half of my miles training for St. Louis, thanks to an unusually brutal winter). The ground moving under my feet, the trees and rows of crops moving past me are all the progress I need, that and the muscle tone I've gained. Plus, running is the only sport I've ever done well. For what it's worth, I probably wouldn't last a day on the strength programs you and Joe are following, so we're all in our own kind of shape.

Keep it up through the holidays, everyone. Chill with the consumption of food and drink and you'll be fine.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Oh, I don't think any less of people who do run. I just don't get it.

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I ran 3.6 miles in 36 minutes today. Nice little out and back on a gorgeous, sunny, 18-degree day with a 30 mph headwind on the way back. My lungs and throat are sore. Everybody gotta start somewhere.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

This has happened to me before, about 4 months ago. I can't remember if I posted something on this back then. I can't even remember if it's the same calf.
    I was jumping rope at the start of a boxing class. Two rounds into the workout, I feel my calf tweak. It hurt to do anything on it so I let the teacher know and leave the class.
    I iced it and took Aleve when I got home. I'm walking with a little limp.
    Part of me feels bad for backing out of the class; maybe I should have stuck it out, but with my ability to do what I had to do compromised, I felt it best to leave (FWIW, I'm not a boxer. I just do the class, which involves jumping rope, shadow boxing, bag work and various drills, because I enjoy the workouts).
    As bad as I felt about it, I guess I made the right decision packing it in for the day. The last time this happened, I came back too early and it happened again, so I'm going to take my time getting back.
    What I'm starting to wonder is if maybe I shouldn't jump rope until I've shed some weight. I'm about 250 and should weigh much less.
    Would it be best to do other stuff that doesn't involve as much pounding until I'm under 200 or so?

10. joe

joe Active Member

Tater, how much stretching do you do? Specifically, dynamic stretching. Since I watched the video on dynamic stretching on the NY Times web site, that's what I use. I find it's much more effective than any other stretching routine I've used, and I'm much less sore from a taxing workout.

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2008/10/31/sports/playmagazine/1194830066044/stretching-the-truth.html?scp=2&sq=stretching&st=cse

Joe

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Dear Miss Hot Woman at the gym,

If you wear a halter top to work out in which your boobs are practically falling out, you have no right to dish out dirty looks when men stare at said cleavage.

Sincerely,
    Cos

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Agreed.

Would it be wrong to hit on the hot trainer?

Draft saved Draft deleted