1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Re: Take care of yourself (LiveSTRONG)

Ducky, nothing about a 10K sounds fun. But good luck, and treat those blisters if you get 'em.

2. joe

joe Active Member

Today, ugh. The workout as Rx'd was 100 squats, 2 muscle ups; 80 and 4; 60 and 6; 40 and 8; and 20 and 10. I had to sub 3 pullups and 3 dips for each muscle up, so that's 90 total of each.

First 60 pullups were overhand, as far above the bar as possible (which wasn't much the further I got into the workout). Last 30 were underhand.

My hands are numbish and sore as shit from all the dips.

Time 42:37.

3. joe

joe Active Member

Today's first workout: As many rounds in 20 minutes of 15 pullups, 15 ring-dip pushups (subbed bosu ball pushups, which are much harder than you would think), 15 back extensions 15 glute-ham situps (subbed 25 regular situps). I got four rounds plus the 15 pullups and 15 pushups.

Second workout: With a 50-pound dumbbell, five rounds for time of 10 walking lunges, then 15 swings. Time = 8:54.

Dips, terrible because I was spent: 5, 5, 4, 3, 3 = 20.

Joe

4. joe

joe Active Member

Today, clean and jerk, one rep, seven sets: 110, 115, 125, miss 135, 130, miss 135, miss 130 twice, 125, 125, 125. That hurdle of 135 is my stone I roll up the hill. I think it's partly strength (or lack thereof) and partly mental that's keeping me from hoisting that 135 overhead. Shit, I can clean (at least) 155, but the jerk is the tough part.

Made this one up: five rounds of six reps each on pullups, 75-pound shoulder press, bosu pushups and knees to elbows. Total time = 10:40.

Where the mind is willing, the body will follow. But sometimes it's hard to remember that.

Train hard, have fun.

Joe

5. joe

joe Active Member

Today, three rounds of: 50 squats, 21 pullups and 21 dips (muscle-up sub again), 10 hang power clean with 105 pounds. Total time = 25:19.

Overhead squats with Olympic curl bar, probably weighing 25-30 pounds. Two sets of 10 with just the bar, one with 5-pound plates added, one with 2.5-pound plates added.

Row 10 minutes and 2,280 meters.

Joe

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I just got back from my first powerlifting meet. Doing deadlift-only, I made all three of my lifts, which is all I really wanted to do, and my best lift was 345.
    I was a little more consverative than I had planned before the meet. I was really nervous. I didn't get a lot of sleep last night and just before each lift my heart rate was through the roof. I also tweaked my back on the second lift. The Aleve I took about 90 minutes ago is starting to kick in.
    It was a lot of fun. I met a lot of great people and everyone was very encouraging of each other. I also took home a first-place trophy. I was the only guy in my division, but I wasn't going to turn it down.
    In addition to the bench and deadlift (push-pull, they didn't contest the squat) they did a strict curl and an overhead press. One guy did an overhead press (strict, with no legs) of 400 pounds. There was also a 65-year-old guy who deadlifted 500.

7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

First 10k in, oh, four hours. Just finished my work for the night and now I have time for an hour-long nap before heading out to the locale. In my world, that means a good time, because I'll be too stupid/asleep to realize I'm going to fast until it's all over. Rock.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Ducky, how did it go?

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Nice job, smallpotatoes. I am working my way up the weight on deads. I maxed out at 295 on Thursday and was happy about that.

10. joe

joe Active Member

I'm thinking small tater ain't small at all. Good on ya. And, shit, a 65-year-old dude deadlifting 500? Crikey, my best one-rep max is 215 less than that.

And ducky, details please. I was supposed to run a 10k for my workout yesterday, but I did the previous day's work instead, and it wiped me out, so I punted.

Anyway, yesterday: three rounds of 50 20-inch box jumps, 30 pullups, 21 155-pound deadlifts. I scaled from 24-inch box jumps and 185-pound deadlifts. Let me just say that box jumps suck as much as I remembered them. Total time: 28:42.

Joe

11. joe

joe Active Member

Oh, and folks, please keep posting your workouts, your successes and frustrations. I've felt like an attention whore by posting so much on this page. Seeing what others are doing is good motivation on days when I don't feel like going to the gym, that cyberspace kick in the ass I need sometimes. That means you Flash, and Mr. Uncircumcised, and the Tater, and ducky, and ServeItUp, and Ragu and anyone else I might have missed.

Joe

12. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Well, once Serve is done moving and settled, I'm sure he'll be back around here more frequently, especially with race season 2009 coming up.

The 10k was OK ... I made a few mistakes: I used shoes that I'd only owned for a week and hadn't fully broken in, I didn't use my inserts for my shoes and I didn't bring a poncho or rain jacket of any sort. So, when it started raining at the start of the marathon (25 minutes before the 10k), I knew I was screwed. Luckily, I had prepped enough to plastic baggy my iPod.

I decided to walk most of it, since I hadn't really trained much for it, and my goal was simple. Knowing the top marathoners (5 a.m. start) would finish in about 2:15-2:20, I wanted to finish before the first crossed the line. I beat him by about four minutes. Jogged a few parts because once the wet shoes, painful feet and water-logged clothes kicked in, running actually hurt less than walking.

Survived a lot better than my two friends who did the marathon, since she's in pain and he possibly tweaked his ACL. Still sore, but they're the gimpy ones. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted