1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Re: Take care of yourself (LiveSTRONG)

Today, run 5K. On the treadmill at the gym, I finished the 3.12 miles in 25:57, a PR by nearly 3 minutes.

Dips: 9, 7, 5, 3, 3 = 27, then 5 more. Slowly, slowly getting my groove back on these.

Joe

2. joe

joe Active Member

Today, clean and jerk, seven sets of one rep: 100, 110, 115, 120, 125, 130, miss 135 twice, 125.

Overhand pullups (I usually do underhand, aka chinups, because I'm stronger that way) because I need to work on them: 10, 7, 7 = 24.

Dips: 9, 5, 4, 4, 4 = 26.

Joe

3. joe

joe Active Member

Today, strangely, "Lynne" again, 125-pound bench, pullups, max reps for five rounds. I rested four minutes between each round, and they went as thus: 8 (14), 7 (12), 5 (8), 4 (8), 4 (7) for 77 total reps, five better than last time.

Then scaled "Mr. Joshua": run a quarter-mile, 30 situps, 15 185-pound deadlifts, three rounds. The quarter-miles went in 1:38, 1:36, 1:34ish, but the deadlifts were the time killer. Total time, 19:07.

Tomorrow, the crossed giblets of turkey roast death. Or maybe just a tryptophan coma and football on TV.

Joe

4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Exhilarating.

I sucked it up and broke out of my shell a little at the gym tonight. Every Wednesday, there's a group that does open-gym/pick-up volleyball. I haven't played in 10 years (i.e. since gym class in high school) but I've always thought the sport was awesome. For 1.5 hours tonight, I didn't totally suck at volleyball, the people on my team were happy to help me learn and I sure as heck worked up a sweat. I love my gym.

5. accguy

accguy Member

Been meaning to post this for a little while, but keep putting it off.

You know how experts say a way to get out of a rut exercise-wise is to change gyms? Well it's been good for me.

Situations with my work has left me with more normal hours than in the past. I had been going to one gym on the other side of my place from the office. With the new hours, I was driving more in rush hour and trying to get to this suburban gym to get to spin class or to work out or whatever was a pain.

There's another gym that's in a much better location. It's the same change, but is about 15 bucks a month more because it is more "upscale" and because there are tennis facilities. After a trip to the very busy old gym (I didn't realize it was so busy as I used to go a little later at night) and not being able to get a bike for a spin class (a really pain after sitting in traffic to get there), I upgraded to the new gym at the beginning of the month.

it's been fantastic. There are spin classes every night during the week at a very easy time for me to get to, the locker rooms are really nice, there is a ton of machines (both weight and cardio). With our new health care plan, if I go to the gym 12 times in a month, I get a 20 buck credit toward my gym dues.

The moral of the story? Well, after a Thanksgiving morning workout, I've now been to the gym 14 times this month and will certainly get there two more times this month. I've gotten into a good groove workout wise. I am again lifting some (despite hating lifting), I'm getting in good cardio workouts and I'm spinning a couple of times a month.

I feel like I'm making some progress and have dropped a couple of pounds this month. Haven't really done anything with my diet other than trying to not eat as much pizza for lunch and cutting down on fries. I've also been cutting down on school night beer.

Anyway, a change of scenery isn't always bad.

6. joe

joe Active Member

Today, my modifications for "Nate" (which is 2 muscle ups, 4 handstand pushups, 8 2 pood [Russian measure of weight; 1 pood equals about 36 pounds] kettlebell swings), as follows: 3 overhand pullus, 3 dips for every muscle up, 8 75-pound strict shoulder presses for the handstands, 8 60-pound dumbbell swings. As many rounds as you can in 20 minutes.

On the overhand pullups, I went chest to bar, as high as I could go, my chin a good 8 inches or better above the bar. On the first few sets of dips, I went nearly to my shoulders; that didn't last long. Shoulder presses were the time killer. My first round was done in 2:13. I got four more rounds, plus 3 pullups and 3 dips in the 20 minutes. My shoulders and upper back are beat.

Run a half-mile, 3:25.

Row five minutes, 1,169 meters.

Tomorrow, I'll try to make it to the gym before Mizzou (I hope) lays wood on Kansas' ass.

Joe

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

On Monday I did a triple with 315 on the straight bar deadlift. Six weeks ago I did a single with 275.
    On my upper body days, once every two weeks I do three sets of max reps on a stability ball dumbbell bench press, trying to beat my three-set total each week, using 50-pound dumbbells. Four weeks ago I did 30 reps. Two weeks ago I did 36. Today I did 41.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Nice work, tater tots!

I may have to cut back on my squats a bit. Legs are getting too big for my pants.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Today, two-plus workouts because I've been lazyish lately.

First, deadlift, five sets of three reps each: 205, 225, 235, 245, 255.

Second, strict standing shoulder presses, seven sets of one rep each: 110, 115, miss twice at 120, 115, 110, 110, 110 , 110. The last time, I hit 120 twice and missed 125 twice. I'm going to blame the deadlifts.

Dips: 10, 6, 5, 4, 4 = 29. First time I've hit 10 on my first set in many a moon, so that's progress.

Run a half-mile: 3:20, five seconds faster than the day after Thanksgiving and 16 seconds off my old-man PR.

Joe

10. joe

joe Active Member

Today, "Tabata Something Else": Complete 32 intervals of 20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest where the first 8 intervals are pullups, the second 8 are pushups, the third 8 intervals are situps and the last 8 intervals are squats. There is no rest between exercises.

Pullups: 11, 7, 6, 4, 4, 3, 4, 3 = 42
    Pushups: 16, 14, 9, 7, 5, 5, 5, 4 =65
    Situps: 12, 12, 11, 9, 8, 8, 7, 7 = 74
    Squats: 13, 14, 13, 12, 13, 11, 12, 12 =100

Total: 281, six more total than on Aug. 20. However, I did nine more pullups and 14 more pushups this time, and I did 13 fewer situps and four fewer squats. I'll trade the former for the latter.

Joe

11. joe

joe Active Member

Today, "Fran": 95-pound thrusters, pullups, 21-15-9.

Thruster rounds went 11-6-5, 6-4-3-2, 4-3-2. Pullup rounds went 11-7-3, 6-4-3-2, 4-3-2.

Finished in 11:57, a PR at the proscribed weight by more than four minutes. Ah, love that Kool-Aid.

Joe

12. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Forgot to post this the other day, but in a monster gym session (three hours, including lifting and socializing) Tuesday, I ended up doing six miles on the elliptical.

Decided I'm going to add the Honolulu Marathon's 10k fun run/walk to my business trip (I know, hate me now) agenda in 10 days. Woo!

Draft saved Draft deleted